Python water changer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I must have a morfidite Python then,my valve is 2 feet from the end that goes in the tank:confused:
Yes it is, our's also..........:)

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Yep, dose Prime for the volume of the tank, not the volume of the water change. As I start the refill, I add straaight to the tank.
accordiig to the directions on the PRME bottle,you are supposed to dose for the amount of water being changed

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL). This removes approximately 0.8 mg/L ammonia, 1.2 mg/L chloramine, or 3.3 mg/L chlorine. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/Prime.html

1boatnut

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Well to me "New Water" is the amount I am changing.

Guess I must be lucky since I always have dosed for the approximate amount of water I take out
You are however absolutely correct.
I called Seachem and was told by Tech Support that if you add Prime to the water then add it to the tank you only dose for the water amount,but going directly into the tank dose for the entire amount.
Again,I;ve been pretty lucky

Last edited:

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
new water before it enters the aquarium...

I've added prime to new water before... 1 thread per 5g bucket...

this takes longer...

i add straight to the tanks... 5 capfulls for my 210g then bring in the hose...

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
The valve that is near the suction end of the Python does not turn off the faucet across the hall or room. It is ok for repositioning or something very quick, but if you need a few minutes to stop/start a filter or move some decor or anything, you cannot leave it off while the suction/refill takes place.

I use a small electic pump and screw the Python into that, minus the cheap plastic siphon valve. I just run a 5 foot hose out of the pump out of the window. Then is hook up to the sink for a temp controlled refill.

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
Well to me "New Water" is the amount I am changing.

Guess I must be lucky since I always have dosed for the approximate amount of water I take out
You are however absolutely correct.
I called Seachem and was told by Tech Support that if you add Prime to the water then add it to the tank you only dose for the water amount,but going directly into the tank dose for the entire amount.
Again,I;ve been pretty lucky
I don't think there is any luck involved. Come on. Does it really matter if I'm pouring my water in from a bucket or a Python?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I don't think there is any luck involved. Come on. Does it really matter if I'm pouring my water in from a bucket or a Python?
No of coures not, using a Python just makes it more convenient, on small tanks it's not a big deal, on bigger tanks it is, if you are content using a pail go for it..........:)

mozart

AC Members
Mar 29, 2007
Delawhere?
No of coures not, using a Python just makes it more convenient, on small tanks it's not a big deal, on bigger tanks it is, if you are content using a pail go for it..........:)
Actually, I was referring to the Prime. Love my python, except the vacuum isn't as strong so I have been using my basic, squeeze pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store