Qs-tip #7 Cleaning the outside glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Is diluted vinegar safe for acrylic tanks as well? I know you're not supposed to use Windex on acrylic, but I like the vinegar idea...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've heard a product called "invisible glass" recommended, I guess its a non-ammonia based glass cleaner usually sold at auto parts stores. I don't know whats in it and I've never tried it, but I'm going to try and find some and give it a shot. The vinegar is a good tip too, never tried that.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Is diluted vinegar safe for acrylic tanks as well? I know you're not supposed to use Windex on acrylic, but I like the vinegar idea...
I read on a couple of sites that vinegar is safe on acrylic tanks. Windex is not OK because the ammonia in it can cloud the surface and the alcohol in it can cause crazing.

Q

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I've heard a product called "invisible glass" recommended, I guess its a non-ammonia based glass cleaner usually sold at auto parts stores. I don't know whats in it and I've never tried it, but I'm going to try and find some and give it a shot. The vinegar is a good tip too, never tried that.
Matt.... here is the Material safety data sheet for "Invisible Glass".

http://msds.orica.com/pdf/shess-en-cds-010-000703818001.pdf

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
cool thanks....basic alcohol-based glass cleaner

gustavo85

AC Members
Jan 23, 2008
Puerto Rico
Every so often I hear of tanks crashing and it sometimes comes down to the use of chemicals of one sort or another being used. I have hard water here and a 4yr old who leaves hand prints. Using water alone leaves a haze on the glass and just smears some hand prints. It's for these reasons I feel the use of a safe and effective cleaner is a good tip.
when you say crashing what do you mean exactly? I want to know if that's what happened to an old tank in my house...

Que

Feb 15, 2007
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Crashing as I understand it is where there is a sudden catastophic die off of most if not all animals... rarely have I heard of this happening with plants. Please... anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Q

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store