QT habits of all?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
In the 3 years I've been in the hobby I have never QT'd a fish yet and never had a disease. Yes I'm probably asking for trouble but.......

I do trust my LFS having helped him out a couple of times and I know how he treats his fish.

On the other hand, as much as I like them, I would never have a regal or powder blue tang as in my eyes they are the most prone to Ich and I don't want to risk it.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I have qt fish in the past and have ended loosing them due to qt. Prob since most of the fish where juvi tangs. I have also been bold enought to put fish right into a display tank and had no probs. The only fish I EVER had break out in ich has been my regal. I tried hypo for 6 weeks and it comes back. JUST on the regal. But that was many months ago. The only thing I have added to the tank has been clams and I did not qt those as those came from someones frag tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I learned the hard way..qt is the best method..I qt for 6 weeks..if there is an outbreak I qt for 4-6 weeks longer.

I had a baby hippo, scopas and some reef chromis in my qt for 10 weeks.. 4 weeks in they developed ich..treated them and qt was continues for 6 weeks(2wwek treatment) 4 weeks post treatment.

they are all happy in the main tank now. going on 4 months in the main tank.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Many times fish get the ich FROM the fish store. That's the case at 2 of the stores around me.

I think people only don't QT until they really have to deal with a nice disease outbreak. Especially if it's in a reef tank where display treatment is not an option.
I agree, once you go through a 6-8 week fallow period you're less likely to want to do it again and probably qt after that.

Personally, I just don't put anything in my tank anymore, so there's no reason to QT. ;)
Yeah, well your tank is beautiful and full. Just rub it in why don't you? :silly:

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In the 3 years I've been in the hobby I have never QT'd a fish yet and never had a disease. Yes I'm probably asking for trouble but.......

I do trust my LFS having helped him out a couple of times and I know how he treats his fish.

On the other hand, as much as I like them, I would never have a regal or powder blue tang as in my eyes they are the most prone to Ich and I don't want to risk it.

Would you mind terribly if I prayed to the fishie gods that your luck continue? I recall Marc from Melvsreef even reporting being shocked this his mandy had ich and well Paisley can NOT get ich.

Oh, and yeah, if you are experienced in this hobby and you trust your LFS that is totally different than not knowing much about it and trusting your LFS. I remember how much your local owner helped you during your move, seems like a great guy.

Grins

May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have qt fish in the past and have ended loosing them due to qt. Prob since most of the fish where juvi tangs. I have also been bold enought to put fish right into a display tank and had no probs. The only fish I EVER had break out in ich has been my regal. I tried hypo for 6 weeks and it comes back. JUST on the regal. But that was many months ago. The only thing I have added to the tank has been clams and I did not qt those as those came from someones frag tank.
That doesn't really disprove that a proper fallow period will rid the the display of ich. If there were other hosts available and the regal was likely to be the first to show signs he could have been re-infected when he went back in.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Hey Grins,

Someone on RC just suggested that I should have left my Mandarin in the Display during QT. I know the Mandarins have a hefty slime coat that is supposed to make them impervious to ich but can't the ich still feed off the Mandarin and stay alive even though it doesn't really infect the fish?

He was concerned about it starving even though I put about 30lbs of rock from the sump in the 29g QT and there are pods in the QT and the Mandarin also eats prepared foods.

PS. It was amazing how quickly all the fish started breathing normally again once the SG was dropped in the qt from 1.025 to 1.009 over 2 days. The Midas Blenny was in very bad shape, totally covered in ich and breathing very very reapidly. Once the SG started to drop, breathing went back to normal.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store