Quaranting New Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Well i'm looking in to getting my first fish in a couple of weeks and had some questions about quaranting. How long should you? How do you set the tank up? Should you treat animal while in quarantine as a precautionary? Should you quarantine corals and inverts too? Basically how do you guys quarantine. There's so many mixed opinions on this I thought I would see what you guys think. Thanks ahead a time.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I QT atleast 4 weeks depending on anmy issues..4 weeks after any problems(ich seems to be the biggie.)
2 out of 3 qt's my fish developed ich..treated and remained in qt 4 weeks after all Sx are gone.

Corals should be qt as they can carry unwanted critters..and may have issues themselves.

inverts usually not .

others may be different.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Ok so how should I set it up? Should I cycle it like my display tank?

HiepNotik

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
bump, I wondering the same thing, gonna look for new fish today, can I use BioSpira to cycle the QT tank?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
When I first set up my qt tanks, I just got a new sponge filter and ran it in my display tank sump (or right in the tank if you don't have a sump) for 2 weeks before purchasing the fish. The filter was then moved to the qt tank and the fish added. Or, biospira could be used.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
ok thanks that helps a lo. Now a question about sponge filters. Where would you buy them. When I asked the guy at Petsmart where they where he looked at me like I was crazy. And asked me if I meant sponges to put in filters like you do for freshwater. Are they the same thing?

RichardA

Bettas are not a college frat
May 3, 2008
Oklahoma
Petsmart doesnt carry sponge filters, Mom and Pop shops do though or you can order em online.

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Ok my quarantine is now up and running. I was wondering what do you do in terms of maintenance. Topoffs obviously but water changes?
Do you treat it like your main tank?

LiveOutLoud

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
bump....

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ok my quarantine is now up and running. I was wondering what do you do in terms of maintenance. Topoffs obviously but water changes?
Do you treat it like your main tank?

Pretty much, yes...Ensure a close eye is kept on ammonia and nitrates and always have premade sw to do a quick water change...Ensure the bottom is kept clean of feaces (sp) and un-eaten food...The tank will need cycling if the media for the filter has not been seeded from an established tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store