Question for pitbull owners

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
we have 120lb pit and we trained him by shaking a can when he was bad. Just a monster can full of pennys or something metal. That works well, and using conditioning you train him to tolerate people. When he barks or get aggressive you shake the can as you get on them until he stops. Eventually they learn. We never hit the dog, I think there was one time where he bit Daniel and Dan wacked him one, never happened again. Now if you just shake the can a little he ducks his head and runs outside.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Ugh...This whole thread is filled with mis information, bad advice, and stereo types.

I won't disect this thread, I will just say, that eventhe people with "well meaning comments" passed on and perpetuated myths.

Pit Bulls, were breed as bull baiters, ..they do not have locking jaws, they are pre dispositioned for aggresion, because of unselective breeding by breeders over the years. yes, a ten week old pit bull already showing aggression needs attention ASAP.

I could go on, but I fear I may get angry.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
a pitbull, like any other dog, is the product of it's training and environment.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
...and possible inbreeding or genetics...

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I hate jumping on these threads because they get me riled up.
I will say this. Each breed of dog has a certain set of traits that are true to MOST individuals of that breed. The Pitt bull is no exception. They are not people aggressive in most cases, many or friendly and well mannered. However many are dog aggressive. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Dogs don't need to be dog social to lead a perfectly happy life. It is up to the owner to be responsible and keep their dog out of situations where this could be a problem.
I see lots of Pitt bulls and pitty mixes come into the shelter I work at and I am always rooting for them. But sadly some do not pass the behavior evaluation and it's heartbreaking. In most cases if things had just been different they would have made a great pet.
I agree with Rbishop that this breed has essentially been ruined by it's popularity(like so many other breeds) and it is such a shame. It will take a long time for the breed to recover.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
everything is a possibility.
Focus just on what could happen you never have a standard.
I hate gray areas lol.

That's my moose.
You can come in the house, but he wont let you leave till I say so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store