Rabbit droppings for plant food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarge_857

Iam the one under your bed. BOO
Mar 18, 2008
Saline, MI AKA craphole USA
just when you think you've heard everything lol.......this is very....weird....

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
interesting lol. i can see people flocking to the MSPCA to ask for fresh rabbit poop.. i can also imagine the reaction on the employees faces
i say someone with a bunny tests it out safely in an empty QT or small test tank

Bansart

AC Members
Feb 26, 2008
Los Angeles
Real Name
Ivan
Sounds like a very interesting experiment. would laying the poop out in the sun to dry it first get rid of any parasite that might be there when it is fresh? then maybe when it hardens just sticking it under the substrate?.. Hope it works out for whomever dares to try

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
rabbit droppings for plants ..yes.........in tanks no,......they would make a real mess not to mention not nessery, thats what the fish are for.......

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
It seems possible. We use manure on plants and its basically the same thing. How different are the diets? Hay, grass, and feed. Definitely an interesting experiment but I will stick to my dry ferts because I know exactly how much I'm adding. I imagine the make up of the poo would vary based on the diet and I would worry inconsistency would throw my tank off. One of the major issues with large animal farms is the run off of animal waste into the local water ways. It pollutes the water and causes major nutrient imbalances. I would worry that it would be too easy to 'pollute' my tank. Interesting idea though.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
There is nothing gross and weird about it. Droppings have proven themselves useful even in gardening as they have nutrients plants need. Dry the droppings under the sun and bury them near plant roots. It shouldn't hurt to experiment at all.

susantroy1

AC Members
Jun 26, 2007
New Port Richey FL.
I personally think that rabbit dung may contain a higher amount of NH3. This may feed your N-bacteria but also may cause a spike as well which may stress your livestock....if you where to do this you may want to boil this for 10 min or so (releasing the NH4) and let it dry for a week or two to mineralize it prior to adding it. That being said what is your goal for doing this??? Are you trying to fore go any ferts in the H20 column? or reduce it? Sounds a bit labor intensive for such a small benefit, seeing that they already have developed fert tabs that are commercially available that is KNOWN to be a lasting substrate benefit. Organic substrate additives have been around well sense the 1800s or so..., All We are really trying to accomplish is obtaining enough N03 for plant uptake. already has been done.

Troy

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
rabbit droppings are the most benificial to plants of all the manures out there, and the safest .. i have had a large number of rabbits myself a few years ago and the next in line is chicken manure, but its very high in acid and is very good for tomatoes,.. but as said before rabbit is the safest and the has the most nutrients for all plants, and its very clean to handle, good for indoor potted plants, no smell and very clean and easy to use....its all proven by science..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sorry, but this thread cracks me up! I see the theory on rabbit droppings and vegetation, but seriously, to boil it and/or add it to your tank? Gosh, get a pleco, a natural poo machine that belongs there. If this keeps up, you might as well train your cats to use the planted tank as a litter box.

jbowzer7

AC Members
Apr 5, 2008
Red Wing, MN
If you check with some master gardeners, at least were I live, seem to think that bat guano is the best with llamas poop is a close second. But I would not consider putting either in tank. Before we did our back yard flowers in we hauled in about four or five pickup loads of llama poop. It did great. Fish poop is good fertilizer, why add other poop to your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store