Rabbit droppings for plant food?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I would give it a try in a plant only tank and monitor what happens. If all the parameters of a healthy tank remain in place then put some white clouds in and see if they can stay healthy and not pick up any parasites. If having done all this and putting new dung in while the fish are in and no parasites then Id' start to think there may be something to all this. Of course for it to mean anything though I'd like a side by side comparison with another tank without any dung added.

Q

PeterNeal

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Madison Lake, London, OH
Rabbit manure is a great fertilizer. Place it in the substrate near the roots of plants just as you would a fertilizer tablet. I recently was looking through some old TFH magazines and this was recommended over using plant tabs or dosing in response to a reader's query about using soil as a substrate (which they did not recommend, but has been and is still used by thousands with beautiful planted tanks). It appears to me that many people here have little to no background in the hobby (or science) and rely on what they are told from retail establishments...often the worse place to get your information.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Interesting concept, but day droppings or night droppings (cecotropes).

Cecotropes are partially digested food loaded with bacteria from the rabbit's cecum. They aren't manure.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
It appears to me that many people here have little to no background in the hobby (or science) and rely on what they are told from retail establishments...often the worse place to get your information.
You hit the nail on the head. One reason AC is here is for people to find out what they need to know because they have little or no background in this hobby. Many people who have joined AC were people who went with advice from the local fish store only to find out later that the advice was wrong.
There are many members here who are quite knowledgable in this hobby and we rely upon them for advice and help to get us through our problems.

Q

Magic_FROST

AC Members
Jan 25, 2011
I have no idea about rabbit poop, but I have good authority on the fact that chinchilla poop does nothing for a planted tank other than amuse the two year old who plops it in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store