Rams died fish store won't replace!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Well the posted sign does say that nitrates must be zero for their guarantee to apply. Ever think that it isn't a typo, but a deliberate technique to avoid ever paying up on the guarantee?
Usually, the policy says that nitrates must NOT be zero, because they then assume the customer brought tapwater in order to cheat.

Waps

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
I'd print out an information list on setting up and maintaining a freshwater tank and highlight the required levels it recommends once a tank is correctly cycled highlight the important parts and make them read it and even give them some web links to research.
I'd say that should be enough backup to support your case.
I'd also recommend talking to a different sales person when you go back in.

abh19

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
If you were to pee in the tank, you'd probably have to wait an hour or few for the urea to break down into ammonia -- hypothetically speaking, of course. Humans don't excrete ammonia, they convert it to urea first because urea is less toxic. The reason is that fish have an unlimited amount of water they can use to flush out the ammonia. We have to be more conservative, so we use urea which can be more concentrated. Animals like lizards and birds convert their ammonia to an even more concentrated molecule called uric acid, which can be excreted with minimal water waste.

Just in case anyone was wondering..... :confused:

lizziotti

AC Members
Jan 12, 2007
New York
UPDATE

Ok sorry I haven't updated yet. Now I've been dealing with a sick fish! Ugh!
So anyway I recieved a phone call from the manager apologizing that she talked to the owner and the sign was a mistake it was suppose to say Nitrite. Gee really? :mad2:

Anyway they credited my account for the fish and I think they should have thrown in some extra but whatever. I have to give her credit for calling but I'm still a little mad she was just such a jerk that day! She did say she pulled all the employees in the back and told them about nitrates and to change the sign. So anyway the moment you have all been dying for the name of the

store is...............................

So I feel alittle bad spreading the name since they did clear up the matter but it actually scares me thinking that they are running a store with a manager that really does not understand water chemistry, not to mention rude, rude, rude! :mad: and how long has the sign been up before they changed it?

Last edited by a moderator:

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I am not 100% on this but I could of Swore I saw a return policy similar to yours in a LFS I when to yesterday. Im going back there today to take a pic of a stingray I want Identified. But their return is just horrible. FW fish $10 and under you have 14 days must have dead fish and water sample. FW over 10 bucks no guarantee. SW No guarantee....Just terrible.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Ok sorry I haven't updated yet. Now I've been dealing with a sick fish! Ugh!
So anyway I recieved a phone call from the manager apologizing that she talked to the owner and the sign was a mistake it was suppose to say Nitrite. Gee really? :mad2:

Anyway they credited my account for the fish and I think they should have thrown in some extra but whatever. I have to give her credit for calling but I'm still a little mad she was just such a jerk that day! She did say she pulled all the employees in the back and told them about nitrates and to change the sign. So anyway the moment you have all been dying for the name of the

store is...............................

So I feel alittle bad spreading the name since they did clear up the matter but it actually scares me thinking that they are running a store with a manager that really does not understand water chemistry, not to mention rude, rude, rude! :mad: and how long has the sign been up before they changed it?
Although they were rude they did listen and educated themselves. You did get your credit.
Chalk one up for the consumer.
It's all good.

Q

If you hadn't raised the issue they'd be moving blindly forward confidant in their ignorance. Bravo for bringing them into the light.

Last edited by a moderator:

kw0me

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
one of the lfs i go to will give u a marine guarantee but you gotta pay an extra 15-25$ and they come put it in your tank and make sure its all good.
but id say they only do this for the expensive ones.

Akysten

AC Members
May 28, 2006
Try Ronbak on Aquabid. This fish are hardy and beautiful!
They also still have their parental instincts. I've not seen any Ram that looks as good as these. I can get you some photos if you like, but it doesn't do justice. The guys great to work with too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store