RANT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
My biggest pet peeve is people that ask the same question that has been beaten to death 1000 times on every other like themed forum. Use the stupid search function for christ sakes.

Like "Can I put two Oscars in a 55?" or "what filter do I need for a xx gallon tank?" "What should I feed my _____?" "Are convicts easy to breed?"

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It was cool at first because it sucks when people don't try to listen to advice they be asked for but now its gone downhill. People asking questions is what a forum is for and if they've asked a question that has an answer we can link them to it or ignore it. When I've asked questions about filtration it was because I saw many threads sayin a certain filter was better or not so good and every time ice asked about filtration I've been asked about my stock. As a new fish owner who, like so many others, thought it was as simple as feeding and cleaning how would I know what level I'm stocked? The inch per gallon rule? I've learned a lot through this forum but I can honestly say now that I've read this I will think twice about asking a question even if I'm not sure of the answer.

This isn't as simple as 12 inches equals a foot here. In this type of hobby there are many answers.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
It was cool at first because it sucks when people don't try to listen to advice they be asked for but now its gone downhill. People asking questions is what a forum is for and if they've asked a question that has an answer we can link them to it or ignore it. When I've asked questions about filtration it was because I saw many threads sayin a certain filter was better or not so good and every time ice asked about filtration I've been asked about my stock. As a new fish owner who, like so many others, thought it was as simple as feeding and cleaning how would I know what level I'm stocked? The inch per gallon rule? I've learned a lot through this forum but I can honestly say now that I've read this I will think twice about asking a question even if I'm not sure of the answer.

This isn't as simple as 12 inches equals a foot here. In this type of hobby there are many answers.
Indeed. Inch per gallon is like watts per gallon, it's a tee off point.

FYI: when we are asked what our stock/stocking is like, species and quantity are what's important, not necessarily how many inch of fish/gallon we currently have. Those who ask will consider the adult sizes of the stock when thinking about the other variables: tank size, filtration, plants, etc...

In many cases the answer is available, whether on [these?] forums or somewhere on the net - it takes some digging, some patience, and some critical thinking on our part. If the answer(s) we find are contradictory or confusing, the answers we'll get on the forums may be just as equally contradictory, as we well know. Sometimes 'these questions' need to be asked, but sometimes we really should dig a little more.

We can all benefit from reading/listening more, especially to those topics that aren't necessarily enticing to us at the time. Click 'em and read; questions, answers and discussions are indeed what forums are about, but we need to venture out... Next week, we might have a similar question about Filter-X, Species-Y or Tank-Z and we'll be a step ahead because we were paying attention to things beside our own immediate "needs."

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
Some people need to be reminded that not everyone is a forum junkie who lives on the internet. Many people sign up looking for advice/help and never even think about using the search function because they are new to forums all together. Or, in many cases, the search function is horrible and never shows correct results (as is the case with another forum I've been a member of for years, and always has been that way). Don't forget that without questions, a forum becomes dead. Sometimes you need repetitive questions to provide site traffic.

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
I've seen it a little bit from some users but at the same time this hobby is full of possibilities. Someone could tell you your stocking is completely bizarre and bad and another could say they've kept that stock for years with no problems. Some of us are willing to try different things out (obviously with our fishes health and safety in mind) but I do know what you're getting at especially when it comes to fish that are way obviously overstocked or have been put in a tank that is obviously too small.

Thats why when I try to answer questions around here if I'm not sure I specifically say that I am still fairly new and what I'm saying should probably be verified by another member. I just hope I've never made anyone angry if I've said something that was blatantly wrong that has needed correction because I hate misinforming people
Agree that this hobby has many correct ways to do things and unconventional stocking can work, and work well for some people. The key is those people know what they're doing. I would not recommend my stocking for any beginner, but it works for me.

It is frustrating that a majority of fish havers just want their methods reinforced and close their minds off to anything that challenges the way they do things. These people either learn eventually (at the expense of many unfortunate fish) or get out of the hobby.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Some people need to be reminded that not everyone is a forum junkie who lives on the internet. Many people sign up looking for advice/help and never even think about using the search function because they are new to forums all together. Or, in many cases, the search function is horrible and never shows correct results (as is the case with another forum I've been a member of for years, and always has been that way). Don't forget that without questions, a forum becomes dead. Sometimes you need repetitive questions to provide site traffic.
Very good point that is often overlooked...I'd much rather have people occasionally repeat a straightforward answered question than have a dead forum...or have it replaced by a bunch of "fluff" posts like we saw a while ago from a certain crowd of members...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
A forum with 108,339 members is not going to die if everyone stopped posting the same repetitive questions over and over. Yes, I realize that not all those members are active, maybe 10% are active, but that is still a few hundred. Have you ever looked to see how many members were logged in at any given time? Right now 73 members are logged in, that is about 1% I have seen many times that amount signed on at any given time.

If people would stop coddling those that ask the same questions and simply informed them the proper way to search for the info instead of being lazy and expecting others to do the leg work for them, they would soon learn not to ask the obvious.. Plus the "lurkers" would see this and when they posted wouldnt make the same mistakes.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If people would stop coddling those that ask the same questions and simply informed them the proper way to search for the info instead of being lazy and expecting others to do the leg work for them, they would soon learn not to ask the obvious.. Plus the "lurkers" would see this and when they posted wouldnt make the same mistakes.
Tried that, doesn't work. You have the same uniformed ppl rendering an opinion based on what someone said a few post previous just to get their post count up.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Tried that, doesn't work. You have the same uniformed ppl rendering an opinion based on what someone said a few post previous just to get their post count up.
Touche' What I like to do is post a "Let me google that for you" link.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store