Read this before using the inch/gallon "rule"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

anxsar

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Well Risher, you have made some valid points but have mis-stated the original rule. If stated in this manner.. "one inch of adult sized fish per gallon of water" For you to follow this rule, almost requires you to have some understanding of the fish you intend to keep before you ever put it togetherl

Consider this. 10 gallon tank = 10 inches of adult sized fish.. NOT 10 - 1" convicts. though it can certainly be done..

Anyway, Everyone should understand the rule is a general tank maintainance rule and NOT a compatibility rule. ANother part of that rule might be added as..

Every fish is AT LEAST 1 inch long..

Now state it this way...

a comfortable stocking level for a tank for the purpose of tank maintainance is one inch of adult size fish per gallon of water and every fish should be considered at least one inch long for stocking purposes. That means a MAX of 10 fish in a 10 gallon tank.

This is also a beginners rule.. people with experience and having done the reading that is so important for these animals.. you should be able to learn where you can cheat and where being conservative is more important. That is where your statements become true.. It is a good rule and should show the extreme limitations of small tanks.. which goes to rule number 2.. Get as large a tank as you can afford and have room for.

Smile all

Anchor

anxsar

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
OrionGirl said:
One 10 inch fish still won't work in a 10 gallon tank.
I did not make the claim it would.. I stated it as a NEWBIE rule..

most all of everyones statements are going way beyond the simplicity this rule is supposed to state. Most newbies wont .. actually I was going to say they wont put a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank.. I have seen it done (unsuccessfully)and know that to be wrong.. but I am sure you know what I mean.. .. OK I want to believe you understand.

I look at it this way.. Most rules are set up as generalities.. I can make and break every rule I can think of on a regular basis. We are however taking a simple stocking rule and sending it way out in left field. This thread as it has been moving along does not belong on this forum.. Newbie freshwater questions.. etc.. ALmost any question of this type should be prefaced with

"There are exceptions to every rule"

I personally have kept about a dozen 2 to 3 inch goldfish in a 10 gallon tank successfully for many months.. BUT.. it did require more than would be considered normal tank maintainance.

OK new rule.. "Never expect an aquarist to show common sense in the face of GOTTA HAVE IT conditions".

So, the inch of fish rule should have the following prefaces to be correct..

Given the knowledge to understand the characteristics of the fish involved, an appropriate stocking level for maintainance purposes is about and inch of adult fish per gallon. Thus it means you should know the adult size or eventual size of the fish you are getting before you put them into a tank..

Without some knowledge of your fish, you will have troubles, especially as a newbie.. and I bet everyone on here can attest to that.

Anchor

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
anxsar said:
I did not make the claim it would.. I stated it as a NEWBIE rule..
Anchor
I thought that's what you meant too. Thanks for clarifying. Of course, that's the whole purpose of this thread - to break this 'Inch/gallon Newbie rule'.

robmit87

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
Eastern Virginia
Being fairly new to this kind of stuff, this post really was helpful. I've had too many pet stores try to sell me this "rule" when I've seen my fish kill eachother, and the stores were just stunned. Thanks for the advice.

anxsar

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
roliva said:
I thought that's what you meant too. Thanks for clarifying. Of course, that's the whole purpose of this thread - to break this 'Inch/gallon Newbie rule'.
Well, If you break this rule, or omit it entirtely, how do you explain maximum sticking to a newbie. I guess everyone arguing it as a bad rule shoulld tell me maybe it is .. but .. without it I only see chaos.

When I have sold fish to a new person some years ago, I would usually explain that every fish is at least one inch long. A 1.2 inch fish is 2 inches.. a 3.1 is 4 inches.. etc. It brings maximums down some.. The idea is to promote good tank maintainance and to not over stock a tank to allow for good growth and good health.

It helps to avoid complex mathematical equations, like some of the posters were suggesting, in trying to help a new person out. Also not everyone has tanken classes beyond basic math. Anyway I hope you understand, though it can be confusing, it is not a bad rule.

Anchor

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
I would think that one should use all the rules you can find, find out how many fish each rule will allowe and take the lowest number of all the rules.

For instance (assuming i did the stuff right) some one posted a link to a artical that had this long drawn out prosesee to do to find out how many fish you can have (and I assmumed that the fish I am going to keep were 3x1x.5 all in inch, then I converted that to metric because the artical was in metric, the fish in question was a Red Eyed Tetra and I upped the size a bit just for safty) using that site I came up with 23 fish (huh!, that is way too many!) If any one wants I can forward the excel file I have so you can double check my work.

Some one said 1 sq in per gall if I used that I would get and I get about 13 1/3 (13)

if I use the 1" per gal (and go with the normail 2 inch that Red Eye Tetras are usally labled to grow to) I get 10.

So I figure 10 is the correct number, Yes I would love to get more, but I don't think the fish would be happy.

Also I know fish are not boxes, but it helped in the calculations to just assume them as boxes.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The major problem is that all fish are different. They all need to be looked at as individuals. An oscar can easily fit in a 40 gallon tank when grown, but that is not nearly enough tank for it to thrive in. Zebra Danios can easily fit in 5 gallon tanks but that doesn't take into account their need for large swimming territories. A single clown loach goes great in a 30 gallon tank, but since they really need to be in groups a 75 gallon tank minimum is generally suggested.

Maximum size is only one considration when stocking a tank. So any rule that ties an adult fish's size to a tank size just won't work for 90% of the fish out there.

Jan 19, 2005
Southern Tier NY
ok, so do i have too many for my tank?

i have a 10 gallon with 2 small blue rams, 1 small columbian cat shark, 2 small (feeder) goldfish, a snail and a sucker fish.

we're planning to get a 55 gallon tank in a month or 2...should be get one sooner?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store