red tailed cat and pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
yeah, we'd be digging it ourselves, and those dimessions dont seem too bad... we'll be putting in a couple ponds at other people's houses, too.

well, i just need an ok from the covenant to build this thing, and make sure i dont cut through any electrical wires, or sumsuch.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
spartan said:
Chile, what you suggested is more the size of a small private pool. I agree that these fish need a lot of space, but we have to be realistic here.

What i suggested was around 1100g... A couple thousand gallons will be ok for these fish
Thats absolutely right Spartan,
My first choice was a Olympic size pool ;)
The minimum pond size that I recommended is only 6x the fishes adult size in length, 3x wide and 1.5x deep, think about it......
Its not that much room for a fish like this, not much room at all.

ChileRelleno

500+ jumps-n-counting,SKYDIVE!
Feb 10, 2005
Mobile, AL
OK, lets say the RTC only gets to 4', and you have a small backyard to do the pond in...
20'x8'x4' = 4780 US gallons
Using the adult size thats only 5x2x1, lets forever keep you in a 30'x12'x6' room, 360 square feet for the rest of your life :(

Another thing to remember is that unless you live in southern Florida, the pond will need to be heated almost year round, so tack a nice electric bill onto the foodbill ;)

It is the difference between survive and thrive.

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
oh, i know. heating would be no problem at all...

the idea started a while ago with jsut having a small pond with a couple plants and a creek like thing with a couple small pools running form the top of our hill to the bottom. im thinking expanding on that, and adding the RTC pond at the bottom, and having other fishes in the little pools (like misquito fish, or something to that nature)

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
OK, lets say the RTC only gets to 4', and you have a small backyard to do the pond in...
20'x8'x4' = 4780 US gallons
Using the adult size thats only 5x2x1, lets forever keep you in a 30'x12'x6' room, 360 square feet for the rest of your life

Another thing to remember is that unless you live in southern Florida, the pond will need to be heated almost year round, so tack a nice electric bill onto the foodbill

It is the difference between survive and thrive.
I'm totally agreeing with you, the more space the better, but we have to face it, its very hard. In order to thrive these fish should not be taken out of the wild in the first place. But they are commonly available, and most often sold to people with a 100g tank.

Typo is doing a **** good job by providing this fish with a pond. The dimensions i suggested will be the closest to thriving this fish will ever get in captivity (other than a public aquarium). Anything larger would be unrealistic, although there are a few, and i mean just a few with very very large ponds out there.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
That's true. And a 360 sq ft. room is bad? Heck, as long as I got one of my friends (a tankmate), a toilet and shower(water changes), a refrigerator (daily feedings), a treadmill (filter current), windows (glass walls of a tank), and a form of entertainment like a computer (fish watching the owners do stuffs), I wouldn't mind living there!

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
....they're really not that hard to take care of.

and i may catch hell for this..but I dont care.

TYPO, if you're gonna get that 40g, buy a small RTC, (they sure dont come cheap) to put in your 18g, then to the 29, then to the 40g, then later to the pond. Trust me, they're fun to watch, and greeeat lookin fish, just make sure you get him from you LFS before the end of his tail gets chewed off....it's happened to me before :sad

They really are great fun to have, and feeding them is not a problem...but them eating ANYTHING is sometimes.

But anyways, yes, I'd say around 1,500 gallons...it seems like alot, but I think you could do it. I dont know about the whole swimming pool idea...I mean lots of room for a fish is great...but man that's alot of room.

Great luck with that, I know you'll love that fish!

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Thank you all, again.
I have a deep respect for these, and I would love to own one, hence supplying it with a pond. problem being.. when i move away id have to bring it with.. not too sure how id do that hehe.

edit: there is a store i know has had one, though, it was horribly sick looking, and i MIGHT have taken it if he offfered it for free.
Id have to check at one store here, to see if i could order one.

Anway.. on the subject of pools..
Hypothetically:
Could you turn a pool into a big fish tank? I dont see why not, with a lot of heavy cleaning, and scrubbing. Pools come with a filter.. some have heaters.. plenty of circulation. also, with a tank that big, you could swim with them! (thats the best part)
Obviouly, youd have to change some things, such as biological filteration, though, i dont know how pool filters work.. i just know they have them.

TYPO

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Seattle, WA
Visit site
what if you want to swim in there with your fish?
theyd be big fish.. ya know, being in a pool and what not.
III think it would be cool to go swimming with your fishies, and having them eat out of your hand.. and maybe schooling with you. (probably not, but, whishful thinking!)

but yeah, there'd be a lot of modding involved.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store