Removing the frame from an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
I wouldn't use a 75g w/out the center brace. The center brace is quite large on my newer Aqueon 75g. I'd determine what you have first. Is it an Aqueon/All-glass (Central Garden and Pet), or is it a Marineland (United Pet Group)? Go from there ordering a new top frame.
Not sure what brand but I have a LFS that can order me a new one for like $25. There's no hurry though as I don't have room for this one yet. I don't really have problem replacing the frame, i just love how clean the frameless ones look.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Not sure what brand but I have a LFS that can order me a new one for like $25. There's no hurry though as I don't have room for this one yet. I don't really have problem replacing the frame, i just love how clean the frameless ones look.
Frameless as in the vertical joins? Or as in around the top? Your profile photo appears to be of a tank that is frameless, vertically speaking. I think I may have seen tanks with no top frame, but they probably are not glass; it is too easy to hit the top of a tank, and without the trame the glass would possibly shatter or crack, certainly chip. The top frame also hides the surface of the water nicely.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Frameless as in the vertical joins? Or as in around the top? Your profile photo appears to be of a tank that is frameless, vertically speaking. I think I may have seen tanks with no top frame, but they probably are not glass; it is too easy to hit the top of a tank, and without the trame the glass would possibly shatter or crack, certainly chip. The top frame also hides the surface of the water nicely.
Frameless like this.IMG_20140517_193411.jpg

IMG_20140517_193411.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Frameless like this.
If the aquarium was designed to have a top frame, then 99% chance it will need a center brace (And I'm not one to take a chance on the 1%..)

It's possible to add a brace, without adding the whole frame, but the question would be why you want to and if this would be the tank to take a chance on.

just replace the top frame and you'll be golden. if you want rimless, get an aquarium that was specifically designed to be so; It will be made with thicker glass to prevent any problems.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Frameless like this.
I would put a top frame on that tank in the photo. It is far too easy to chip and crack the glass. The light fixture sits on this too. Then there is the cover glass...without a frame there is no place to sit this. Usually the cover glass unit sits down on the lip of the frame, inside. Then the light sits on the top of the frame on the ends.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
M00n, based on your pic, it looks to me like a Marineland, United Pet Group tank. Look for tags on/around the bottom frame to know for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store