Removing the frame from an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
There's only one tag on it and it says do not drill. Byron, I did think about that as well. My thought was to get bulb covers that slip over the bulb to protect from the water and salt. They are only $3. And then just hanging a shop light about it. As for the lid I was thinking doing it lid-less. Or diying some glass that can sit on top and hinge. Still just an idea with all of this though.

avenger21

AC Members
Jul 13, 2013
As others have mentioned, if the tank came with a frame with a center brace, then you should get some sort of bracing for it.

Just beware though if getting a replacement frame that you make sure you get a frame that will fit. the 48 x 18 tanks in particular seem to vary a lot by manufacturer on the actual glass dimensions of the tanks

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness I like that idea! Now the main reason for that top brace is to keep the tank from bowing, so if I did use that, would the bottom brace be necessary still?
I believe that the bottom has a brace because it's cheaper to make the piece with the brace than without.

Basically it's easier and cheaper to make 2 of the same piece than 2 different ones, so the bottom has the brace.

If you want to use the brace I linked to, note that there is a vertical component to it, so if you want to place glass flat against the top of the tank, you will not be able to do so. it would simply pivot around the brace.

But with all things, do your own research about how something will work; I haven't personally tried one of these so cannot vouch for how well it will work. To the best of my knowledge it will work without a problem, but you may want to try to find someone with first hand experience.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
There's only one tag on it and it says do not drill. Byron, I did think about that as well. My thought was to get bulb covers that slip over the bulb to protect from the water and salt. They are only $3. And then just hanging a shop light about it. As for the lid I was thinking doing it lid-less. Or diying some glass that can sit on top and hinge. Still just an idea with all of this though.
Uncovered tanks have a place sometimes, example with plants that grow above the surface. The water level may need to be kept well below the top of the tank. But generally, a covered tank is better. This retains warmth esp in winter. Some fish must have the tank covered to maintain warm air, thinking here of fish that "breathe." Fish do jump, most of them, often during darkness. The other issue is water evaporation. There is a lot of this from a warm aquarium, and it will seep into the walls and ceiling, much as in a bathroom, causing structual issues. Then there is the dust getting into the water, plus other items depending upon other pets, kids, etc.

M00n3at3r

AC Members
Aug 21, 2013
Hmmm...valid...very valid. not that I doubted anyone. Pets and children aren't an issue as I have no kids and my dog only sleeps in my room and promptly leaves in the morning when I leave for work. The cats might be actually. They might go for a swim. We've had that happen. So then going with the trim, i can pretty much find the silicone anywhere right? I just need to put a healthy bead of it inside the trim then press it snuggly down on the tank?

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
Hmmm...valid...very valid. not that I doubted anyone. Pets and children aren't an issue as I have no kids and my dog only sleeps in my room and promptly leaves in the morning when I leave for work. The cats might be actually. They might go for a swim. We've had that happen. So then going with the trim, i can pretty much find the silicone anywhere right? I just need to put a healthy bead of it inside the trim then press it snuggly down on the tank?
Use aquarium-intended silicone. Or if you look at those in home improvement stores that will be less expensive, make sure it is safe for aquariums (they will say this on the label). Ordinary silicone will leech toxins.

I've never done this, but my thought would be to run a very thick bead of silicone all around on the top surface of the glass, the cut end. Then fit the frame down onto this and by pressing it down the silicone will run down both sides and should seal it completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store