Returning to Fish keeping with Fluval Edge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
the hairs look like algae or fungus...is it still there? Can you use a baster to suck it away?

Ammonia may continue to drop, or may hang steady for a bit...you can have readings of both ammonia and nitrites for quite some time. There are lots of variables to how quickly the populations will establish.
Thanks for the fast reply OrionGirl.

Not sure what happened to those plants but upon adding hardscape I wanted to move my live plants around and the ones with the fungus pretty much disintegrated upon trying to move them. So they are no more.

Also, thank you for the ammonia/nitrite info. I'll maintain a steady 3ppm of ammonia once it drops below that mark, and wait for my nitrates.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Update:

Ran ammonia and nitrite test tonight and the ammonia had finally dropped and was between 1 and zero ppm. Nitrites - off the charts. Brought the ammonia up to what should be about 3ppm based on my previous dosages.

Things are definitely rolling.

And I'm almost decided on what I'll stock it with when the time comes.

Good night to everyone.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sounds like it is progressing well!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dosed tank with pure ammonia and have reached a 4-5ppm reading...
"Pure ammonia" as in household ammonia, with no perfumes, dyes or surfactants?

I commend you on your progress if you're actually seeing nitrites within a few days. That's really fast. It took me 2+ weeks to get that far when I fishless cycled my 10g. Much longer with my 29g.

If I could offer one suggestion, I would reduce your ammonia to 2-3ppm. I too maintained a 4-5ppm initially and had nitrites go so far off the charts high, that the cycle stalled. Had to do multiple large water changes to bring it back into range and the cycle continued normally.

I used the API master test kit and Austin's brand household ammonia. Kept the tanks at ~86F for the process.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Errmmm...she is dosing back up to 3 ppm per her posts...and she is at the 2 week mark...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You are the one with the good head Bob.

Darn Alzheimer's again. :hypnotized:

oo krispy oo

AC Members
Jul 2, 2013
Connecticut
Thanks for the tips Freshy. Unfortunately, I've got fluval's 25w heater recommended for the Edge 6 gallon. I hover in 75-78 degree range. I would like it a bit warmer myself during this process.

And thanks for the clarification Bishop. (P.S. I'm a 30 year old man).

Just ran the #s again. NH3 = 0. That's after 3ppm dose last night. Nitrates' vile still resembling a tube of grape kool-aid. Dosed to 3ppm. Until tomorrow gents.

And just to weigh in, I'll mention Nutrafin Ammonia Test by Hagen again. IMO the go to test for NH3. 0 Ammonia shows as clear and is gauged more on a cloudiness that turns pink to orange. Much easier to read, especially in the lower range ppm area. I find the test included in API's master kit to be more discerning in the lower gradient.

Here's a pic of today's test more or less to show how the ammonia reads. And the ammonia I'm using.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1373746139.029083.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I decided you were a "she" since you are 29 not 30... ;)

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Slightly off topic, but I suspect most of those Petco plants you bought could be nonaquatic. They are notorious for selling pretty plants that are not suited for long term emersion. You may want to go to a reputable locally run fish store for your plants or do some research on low light aquarium plants before investing in more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store