Ritteri Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Just a caveat about cleaner shrimp:

They do not eat ich nor do they cure it. They only eat the encysted skin that develops as a result of the parasites' burrowing. The parasites are far too small for the shrimp to catch.

As far as the "natural" approach goes, you almost never see fish in the wild with it to begin with. As far as tanks go, the "natural" approach to ich is borderline survival of the fittest. The fish either gets over it or it dies. I, personally, would not leave it to chance or nature. I do agree, however, that one should keep things natural and in line (which includes water parameters, diet, etc.) as a prophylaxis. Keep a close eye on your fish. What you are observing now could very well be just a cycle where the cysts have fallen off, only to return in full force and increased numbers later on.

ChangDriX

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
515 Iowa
I would listen to these folks there's no reason to waste your money on something you can't support right now and not all clowns will host anenomes. Just don't chance it be sure your wallet will thank you later :) patience is something you gotta have in this hobby

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
There's not only the money aspect, but also the fact you're literally taking 'life into your own hands'. You have a responsibility to your pets, much like if it were a dog or a cat. If you're throwing it into an environment that isn't right for it...well, that's not really very responsible.

But it wastes a lot of money as well. ;)

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Just a caveat about cleaner shrimp:

They do not eat ich nor do they cure it. They only eat the encysted skin that develops as a result of the parasites' burrowing. The parasites are far too small for the shrimp to catch.

As far as the "natural" approach goes, you almost never see fish in the wild with it to begin with. As far as tanks go, the "natural" approach to ich is borderline survival of the fittest. The fish either gets over it or it dies. I, personally, would not leave it to chance or nature. I do agree, however, that one should keep things natural and in line (which includes water parameters, diet, etc.) as a prophylaxis. Keep a close eye on your fish. What you are observing now could very well be just a cycle where the cysts have fallen off, only to return in full force and increased numbers later on.

Exactly...and same goes for cleaner fish.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I will be keeping a very keen eye on everything as I do care very much about them and I will make sure to take the proper measurements to keep them all alive and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store