River Manifold Tank - Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I think I would put them about 1/3 of the way up... but I also like BFM's idea of having them at different levels.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
I was brainstorming about the two different levels idea too, BFM. I just might do that! And it seems like everyone thinks the lower the better. I'll try to cut the rigid tubes down to get the powerhead outlet to below halfway.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Alrighty, time for a small update even though it was a full evening's worth of work. I apologize in advance for the photo quality, I took these in a rush with my phone this morning on my way out the door to work:

I cut down the clear pipe like many on my other forum recommended. The outlet nozzle of the powerhead now sits about halfway down the tank's height:

And here's the tank in place in the family room behind the chairs. Again, you can see the old tank on the left:

Our backyard is FULL of large pieces of quartzite rock, so I harvested some, boiled it, and scoured it with a stiff wire brush. It's ready for the tank! Perhaps not the best choice for a river-style tank, but hey, it's free. The largest stone there will be going right next to the powerhead outlets hopefully to create some drag to pull the current downwards.

Frankie was not amused being woken up this morning with the hustle and bustle of photo taking:

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Awesome job so far, do you plan on stocking it with anything besides the hillstream loach?

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Awesome job so far, do you plan on stocking it with anything besides the hillstream loach?
Definitely. I'm looking more at the rainbowfish family. I already have a school of 8 Praecox Rainbows. I'd like to get some Boseman's and Irian Jaya Reds as well.

That should just about fully stock the tank, no? Maybe squeeze in a small school of White Clouds for good measure. :)

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Frankie was not amused at being woken up with the hustle and bustle of photo taking this morning:

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Awesome! My LFS sells the Hillstream Loaches, but I couldn't figure out how to do the tank for them lol. I am definitely subscribing!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Very interesting, can't wait to see the loaches in there!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
might want to keep an eye on any downward directed flow. could just blow your sand all heck to high water, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store