River Manifold Tank - Build Thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Yeah, the flow will not be directed downward, just hoping that the first rock formation will put some drag on the current and pull it down into the lower section of the tank. I will not be blowing the current directly downward.

Sparkxx

AC Members
Jan 30, 2010
Scotland *shivers*
Lookin good!

GMYukonon24s

AC Members
Feb 9, 2008
MICHIGAN
Nice build rsanz. I have one of these in my 10, but I don't call it a hillstream loach its my baby stingray lol. Keep up the good work.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Wet test! It seems like it works. I can see bubbles being sucked in at the sponges, so it certainly seems like the amateur plumbing job worked. You'll notice that the thermometer doesn't move much when it's at the surface, but when pushed downward, the current takes it right away. When the thermometer gets to the sides it seems like it gets caught in a back-current and moves back towards the powerheads. Is this something that I want to try to avoid with powerhead repositioning, or is it just a byproduct of the aquarium walls that can't be avoided?

Pardon the terrible shaky video...

[YT]a4r4UIL8ycs[/YT]

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
OK!!! I scaped the tank. Woot!! I used plants from the 20g that this tank is replacing. That tank was overgrown, but the 40g looks anemic, haha. I also took the substrate from the 20g along with an additional back of Eco-complete that I ordered online.

The only plants in there right now are a tankful of anubias nana and some crypts (don't know what species they are). Also one small tiger lilly that never really did too well in the 20, but I am hoping that with the increased light output of the new light fixture that it will take off.I still want to get a good amount of valisneria for the background, but the bones of the design are in place.

Have a looksee, but keep in mind that the water is still fairly cloudy from the commotion.

Notice the gentle upslope towards the pwerheads? That was accomplished by just piling up substrate to the left side of the tank. More, and more, and more substrate. It took a whole bunch to accomplish just that slight slope. Then, the largest boulder near the powerheads in an attempt to create some drag to pull the current downward for the middle of the tank.

Anyways, opinions please!!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
very nice! i really like the contrast you have going on between the rocks and substrate. makes the rocks pop!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Thanks, guys! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I wish there was some more height on the rockwork. I may work on that a bit in the coming days, but I am already beginning to move stock over from the 20 long, so any more tinkering will have to be delicate and subtle.

I need to get some vals for the back. Maybe that will help fill out the top of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store