Running DIY Co2 Through a c-160?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Some canister filters have a venturi hole that you can hook your CO2 onto. Should be on the casing near the impeller and might have a rubber stopper in it. If it has one.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
I've never ran CO2 into a canister and probably never will. So with the "never say never" thing in mind. Heres what I'd try to do...

This is intended to hide it, as well as let you see your lil bubbles going in.

Reference this> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+3690&pcatid=3690

In the top pic. Get some airline suction cups. I got a box(6-8 pcs) of them from petsmart a while back for my co2. I found 2 that the clip actually stayed in the suction cup easily. The others were so loose they'd just fall out if you so much as turnt it sideways. Nothing that silicone wouldn't fix. But I got the two I needed at the time, so I didn't need to fix any.

The lower pic. See the L bows?
You might be able to find a 1 or two pack somewhere. Opposed to this $5 thing, to use 1 of. If you haven't made the trip to Ace hardware yet, look there for 1. A black 1 would be good.

Now with that stuff. Hide the airline behind the intake tube of your canister. Using the suction cups against the glass. Hopefully there's enough room? If not, pffft... cancel this idea.
If were moving on...
(Have the L bow in place, before sticking the line in... details, desmails)
Now have the L bow facing right at the bottom of the intake. Ta dahhh. Bubbles sucked into the canister.

The airline isn't noticeable by your neighbors looking in your window from their window. Gauuuud I hate hoses, tubes and wires.

But you can sneak a peak from the side and see your bubbles bubbleing. And know its working.
Most likely what you'll see, is. In the airline. Water going back up into it about an inch, then keep getting pushed back out by the co2. Over n over. Once you see the water, not get pushed back out. You should have changed the co2 bottle 2 days ago.

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
...Gauuuud I hate hoses, tubes and wires.
That reminds me!
Have you painted the back, black, yet!?

I doan wanna be reading your post with pics going ... "Yea, I know... I shoulda painted the back, black. " :(

Heres what a black back will do for you...

Makes plants POP!!!
Helps to camouflage Wires, Tubes, and Hoses.
Prevents, even MORE Wires, Tubes, and Hoses from being seeing Behind the tank, while viewing from the front. :) :silly:

Soooo? Whatcha gonna do...:huh:

:hi: :rofl:

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
Before I went pressurized, I put the CO2 outlet tube through a check valve and then into the intake of my XP2 canister. Worked great.
Now I still inject pressurized CO2 into the same intake.
I took hard plastic tubing and heated the end. Bent a 1/2" 90 and put it into a small hole in the intake tube. Secured it with ty raps and it still works great. I've read that CO2 will hurt the seals and gaskets on the canister, so I bought some spares. After 15 months no damage yet.
Charles

Paintballer99

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
That reminds me!
Have you painted the back, black, yet!?

I doan wanna be reading your post with pics going ... "Yea, I know... I shoulda painted the back, black. " :(

Heres what a black back will do for you...

Makes plants POP!!!
Helps to camouflage Wires, Tubes, and Hoses.
Prevents, even MORE Wires, Tubes, and Hoses from being seeing Behind the tank, while viewing from the front. :) :silly:

Soooo? Whatcha gonna do...:huh:

:hi: :rofl:
Hahaha I'm going to get a black background...dont worry! I hope the CO2 would do no damage....but after 15 months, and your still good I should be fine. I have to check my filter (when it gets here) to see how much room I'm going to have between the intake and the air tube... But What about all the media thats in the way before the output? Will that effect the co2 comming back out?

EDIT: SMinNC, for the air control kit, will the co2 have any problems running through the t valves?

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
The whole reason you put it through the can is that you don't want bubbles... dissolved co2 will traverse the filter media just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store