running skimmer off overflow.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
ok, im sorry to say that i am lost.

How would i run an ocean runner pump for it, and the overflow??

It only has one place to ermmm connect something.

Im sorry, but im horrible with stuff like this... i might just be being an idiot... but im going to need a bit more indepth instructions on what it is im doing =/.

Sorry, but thanks for the info at least!
Jay

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
(pic from: http://www.aqua-medic.com/t1000.shtml)

The two holes lower donw on the skimmer are where you hook the ocean runner up to... this pump "recirculates" the skimmer and injects the bubbles.

One of the top holes (ones with pipes on them) should be fed with the overflow water, and the other run should drain into the sump.

standalone.jpg

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
One of the top holes (ones with pipes on them) should be fed with the overflow water, and the other run should drain into the sump.
Ignore this...

Check the instructions... in the instructions it should tell you how to set this up with a feed pump... Bassically, set it up exactly like you would if you were to use a feed pump, but instend of a pump, just hook one of the lines from your overflow in where the feed pump should be.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
right, thats what i thought.

So if i hook in an overflow line to where the feed pump should be, it should be ok? This wont greatly cut down efficiency will it? I think that if i hook up an overflow line to it, it should be running roughly 400gph for feed.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
The pump has a needle wheel to produce the micro air bubbles. Just feeding if off the return is not going to create those air bubbles. You might as well buy the pump. If you want to run it off the return you need a recirculating skimmer or a skimmer with the air injection.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
ouch, not what i wanted to hear. We'll see... ill try to work up some more space.. maybe end up with a more traditional sump set up.

thanks.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
What I suggested was splitting the line running from the overflow to the sump. One line would be going to the skimmer(then later from the skimmer to the sump) , the other straight to the sump. You would put a valve on both lines to fine tune the flow.

The pump has a needle wheel to produce the micro air bubbles. Just feeding if off the return is not going to create those air bubbles. You might as well buy the pump. If you want to run it off the return you need a recirculating skimmer or a skimmer with the air injection.
Did you even read the whole thread? This is a recirculating skimmer were talking about.

This particular skimmer is designed to be run off two pumps. The "feed" pump just creates water flow throught he skimmer. The second, "re-circulating" pump injects the bubbles.

Sorry it took me a bit to reply...

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
I read the thread where he was talking about buying the OceanRunner 2700 pump which is a needle wheel pump. Didn't look at the skimmer, okay so its recirculating, he stills needs the OceanRunner 2700 pump to power the recirculating part. You would use a small pump like a MJ1200 to pump water into the skimmer, or tee the overflow.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
I read the thread where he was talking about buying the OceanRunner 2700 pump which is a needle wheel pump. Didn't look at the skimmer, okay so its recirculating, he stills needs the OceanRunner 2700 pump to power the recirculating part. You would use a small pump like a MJ1200 to pump water into the skimmer, or tee the overflow.
Not necessarily,the water will force feed down to the skimmer in the sump,the only reason he would need a feed pump would be if theres still not enough flow,or he was using it as a hang on,ect.(where it would not siphon).He could just put a small feed pump in the sump with it too,the water in the sump comes from the overflow so....whats the diff?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
whats the diff?
effeciency...

as you know protien skimmers work by collecting the protiens wich bond to the water-air interface(note the bold)...

What happens with a standard sump set up, you've got an overflow skimming the displays water surface (where the protiens are concentrated)... this than go's towards the sump.

Now what happens next... where is the skimmer getting it's feed water from? If from a feed pump, the protiens in the water then has time to bond to the water surface... Meaning there are some protiens that your skimmer won't be able to get at = reduced effeciency.

Now, if straight from the oveflow line, the protiens in the water has had no time to bond with any air-water interface... meaning your skimmer has access to all the protiens in the water.

Not only that, but the OP's situatuation nessasitates that the feed pump be placed in the return section of the sump... meaning the changing water levels, will affect the head pressure on the pump = affect the flow rate through the skimmer. This will nessasitate frequent adjustment of the skimmer, and ultimately will reduce effeciency, since what is the "ideal" setting for the skimmer will be constantly changing, meaning the skimmmer will almost never be at the "ideal"setting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store