running skimmer off overflow.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
So in other words..an external skimmer fed by the overflow works more effeciently.I understand that.But that is not the situation"for this post"The person was asking if it was ok to run off the overflow box to his skimmer in the sump area and was being told he still needed a feed pump,which may not be the case,If the skimmer is being force fed from the overflow the head pressure is null.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
I have this skimmer.

1. The overflow gravity is used to push the water through the whole system. If you can't set it up using the T or Y pipe, then you would need a small pump to feed the water.

2. You still need another pump (i.e. oceanrunner 2700) in order to run the venturi wheel and create micro bubble.

So you are looking at at least 1 pump, possibly 2.

Mine's setup so that the overflow water is split through T pipe. One end goes directly to the filter in the sump and the other goes to the skimmer. I have tried every possible scenario with this thing, trying to get the best efficiency out of it. When I tried to run it without any pump and purely the overflow pressure (JUST LIKE how you initially suggested), the water moves, but you don't get the micro bubbles. When I tried to run only the oceanrunner 2700 without the overflow, there was a lot of bubbles, but not enough pressure to circulate the water. Basically the water was sitting in the chamber and not exiting. The best setup is what the manufacturer suggests. Get the oceanrunner 2700 (or something equivalent) and also use the overflow pressure.

FYI, if you look at the picture in the previous reply, do you see the little grey pipe in the mid section that is somewhat leaned to the side? That's where you feed the overflow water into. And then the exit pipe below that toward the bottom of the skimmer is where water would be inputed into the oceanrunner.

Hope this helps!

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
I did not suggest not using any pump at all,You haft to use a recirculating pump on a recirculating skimmer for it to work correctly,I stated they "might not need a "feed" pump if overflow is enough pressure.
Dustin,How did you expect a recirculating skimmer to work without a recirculating pump?Plug up holes and put a bubble stone in it?Just wondering.
Anyway,lets stick to giving this person suggestions and let them make up their own mind.Lets not bicker about what you thought someone else said.It will just start arguments and thats not what we are here for,everyone has their own opinion on whats best,and lets leave it at that.Thanks,Rick

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
Back to the post,Joander,you need a recirculating pump to recirculate the water "inside" the skimmer,this creates the micro bubbles and stirs them up,Get a needle wheel pump and look up the mesh wheel mod,It helps alot with efficiancy.This pump will not pull water from outside the skimmer,it only recirculates the water,it will not feed the skimmer with water.If you cannot "y" off of the overflow box you will need a feed pump,you can put the pump inside your tank overflow box or the sump,putting it in the overflow will work more efficiantly.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
ok, thanks guys i think i got it down now.

jeesh another pump =)...

does it have to be the ocean runner, or is there another you would suggest or that would work?

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
There are other pumps on the market,Just make sure they are comparable to what they have suggested,so your skimmer will work like it's supposed to.If you buy one to small it wont produce enough bubbles,and it wont produce as much skimmate."Bigger is always better"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store