Ryukin problems after a bad tank episode?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Is there anything I can do for him? His breathing is really shallow, unlike last time when he would breath fast. Before if I taped the glass (what I do when I'm going to feed them) he would right himself and swim a bit before flipping back over, but now its not working he just floats there.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul

Leighlou

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
O.O his back flipped right and swimming around! I didn't do anything.

T-T I'm going to go gray worrying about him.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
where do I get gel food?
You make them.:) There's a recipe posted here several times. Have a search on that. If you don't have time, you could always order Mazuri gel from Goldfish Utopia site owned by Ed.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Some goldies are prone to swimbladder issues due to genetics, as Lupin mentioned. The only real thing to worry about is whether he is eating, and whether he is so often at the surface that his belly sticks out of the water and dries out. That can cause bacterial infection and ulcers. If he's only at the surface occasionally, you can try feeding him a sinking pellet (I can't remember if the Hikari you are feeding now is a sinking type), with smushed peas every other day, or you could construct some sort of sling to keep him upright and underwater.
Best of luck! :)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Glad to hear from you, Iris.:iagree: Hikari Lionhead is sinking type. It's the Hikari Oranda Gold that is floating. I had the option between the two myself and since my ryukins get floaty with floating foods, I went for the former. Hikari Lionhead hasn't even cause issues with my goldies at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store