salty420's 75g reef log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I finally found where mine made its way to. It's a nice article. Pretty much lays out that they are difficult to keep fish for various reasons, but not impossible with proper choosing of a specimen and proper habitat.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
big changes today!

well today was a big moving day for the tanks. all the LR was moved over from the 37g except 1 large piece of ugly base rock that will be going into the 'fuge. along with the LR the RBTA came over and the poor clowns were looking so distressed without it in the 37g that they got moved over as well. here's a fts as of this afternoon...

it's so bright in there even with 13 layers of parchment paper under the HQI's!
the clowns and the nem seem just fine. the clowns haven't gone more than a few inches from the nem tho, i do wish they would check out the new tank! tomorrow i will move over the other fish and other corals. it will be interesting to see what the nem does tonight!

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
well the 75g sure looks better then the 37g tonight :barf: i cannot believe how nasty it is in there! i could hardly even see in the tank for about 5 hours after pulling out the LR and now that the nast has settled there is a layer of filth on everything! i am ashamed :thumbsdown: and am definitely looking forward to having a decent protien skimmer on the new tank.
tonight i am wondering how i should go about saving as much of the life as i can from my sand bed..? the plan for tomorrow is to take out the last corals and the fish (hopefully i'll find my neon goby who is MIA tonight), and then do a water change on the new tank replacing the water with the water from the 37g (not that i really want to after tonight). then i thought i would try to scoop out the top 1/4-1/2" of sand from the tank and put that sand into my fuge. im not too thrilled about that at this point tho since like i said there is a layer of gunk on the sand right now, but what else could i do? what i am confused about is how to save any other critters living in the sand bed. would they all be up in that top 1/2"? i know there are bristle worms in the sand and possibly micro brittle stars that jumped for it off the LR and i would like to try to save as many as possible. also i have nassarius snails that i don't want to lose. i am just sitting here thinking what a pain this is probably going to be...

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Are the covers on your HK's permanent, or just in case the RBTA doesn't like the new tank?

Looks to be coming along nicely! I look forward to the pics to come :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store