Second-Hand Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
omg wow those look awesome!! where did you get the white logs?

JustinDavis

Who says Convicts are boring?
Jun 7, 2011
Nice Re do

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
..the sculpin is hungry..

Fyurae

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
www.fyurae.com
Been a while. First, the small tanks.

(Note: all the pics are quite yellow, but I didn't care enough to take the time to fine tune the camera settings.)

The hex is back on the desk next to my computer again, where it started a year ago back when it was my only tank. Right now, the only resident is Worf, my cranky double-tail. You can see in old pictures that his color has changed some (to my dismay). He was in the tank with my gouramis back when they were breeding, and the male nipped his fins pretty harshly before I could make room to move him somewhere else. The pictures aren't great because I have a light rigged up kind of weird right now.

Worf used to be chocolatey-black with fire orange fins. Now he is an iridescent copper with red-violet finnage (still pretty, but not as cool as he was.)

I packed up a printer I wasn't using so that I could put my 5 gallon on top of the desk (making room for the hex on the desk). I really like having it up above eye level while I'm on the computer. It's my favorite tank still. I love the color of the red ludwigia with all the green plants. It has a random look to it (go figure). I only have two pygmy cories remaining (they have proved difficult for me to raise), and tonight I moved Riker back into this tank, swapping him with the guppy male that had been isolated here after going on a murderous rampage with the other guppies. (The pygmy cories put him in his place pretty well).

You can see how Riker's eyes are blue now. They weren't at first, but changed when his color lightened up.

I think I still have a male and a female. I don't know if I want to get more pygmaeus, or try habs again. (They are a bit larger.)

Next is the 20 long. The male dwarf gourami killed Boo, his girlfriend, a few months ago. I still have 9 cories, including my original trio. Two more will be going to new homes within the next few days. They haven't spawned in quite some time, and I don't know if they are too cramped, or just in the off season.

The dwarf gourami (who I still don't have a name for) is the fish I have had the longest now, followed by Riker, and then Cora and her consorts.

Cora on the right, my original female, with some of her offspring.

This is my 29 gallon guppy tank. Heavily planted would be the term here. In fact, I just heavily thinned the plants before taking these pictures. I had a bunch of sunset guppies out of my first female, but they are slowly being fed (more on that later). I really like patterned guppies more than tuxedos. I love the snakeskin male I have, but he is a ******* and has killed several females and my awesome endler hybrid. I just returned him to this tank now that a lot of the females are much bigger than he is, but I may have to move him back out if he doesn't chill out.

There are lots and lots of small babies in here. Some are from an awesome female that had bumble-bee stripes on her tail, but my male killed her. They are already coloring up, but too small and quick to get good pics of.

A female with a pink tail. I got her in a group from Petco (I know), and that was an interesting adventure. She's the only one left.

My favorite female. She is probably a sibling to my snakeskin male. I love her orange tail with blue dorsal fin.

A new male I got last week. Dark blue body with yellow fins and tail. He has a more Japanese fantail shape than my others (though I actually like it less).

Sulu, my rat ******* snakeskin male. He is awesome looking, and so far has made some great babies, but he murders the other fish.

Finally, my BABY. This is my sunfish. I am still trying to come up with a great name for him. (I think its a male.) This fish is AWESOME. He is a coldwater fish, a type of perch. Most likely he is a pumpkin seed variety. (It's the same thing as a blue gill, only a different color and pattern.) This summer when Kaosu had him he had much more orange. Now his body is darker, and his fins are edged in powder blue. He's gorgeous, has a ton of personality, and spends a lot of his time staring at me. He is freaky aware of whats going on outside the tank. Since all my large tanks are in one corner, he gets to spend a lot of time picking out which guppy looks delicious.

The tank is not finished, but I am doing all native plants and the weather is too cold to go wading into ponds this time of year. There are 6 bullfrog tadpoles in here as dithers for the time being.

He is very hard to get pictures of. He comes out whenever he sees me, thinking I will feed him, but doesn't like the camera. I put the dollar bill down for scale. He's about 7 inches. This tank could be upgraded as far as a 65 gallon with the stand its on, and I do plan to upgrade so he has more space in the future, but for right now he seems pretty happy to be fed.

Fyurae

AC Members
Nov 24, 2010
Skagit Valley, WA
www.fyurae.com
Just checked on my tanks this afternoon to find that the gourami had died. I was gone all day yesterday, but he was fine Wednesday. I actually spent quite a while Wednesday night watching him blow bubbles.

It's a bummer, especially since he is the fish I have had the longest. But I also have no idea how old he was and I know that he lived at least part of his life in a gallon bowl. So I can happily say that at least he had a nice place to live for the last year of his life, including a couple of girlfriends.

I have no idea why he died, I don't see anything unusual about his body.

At least there is some good news! My cories look like they are getting ready to spawn (perhaps he was too threatening for them). And, it means I have room to get some other fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store