Setting up a Brackish 20 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Ok thanks for the info!

ravenpb226

AC Members
May 10, 2010
North Beach, MD
Real Name
Allen
Bumblebee goby are pretty interesting, they seem to have personalities even though they look pretty lazy alot of the time but they are an interesting fish for brackish that wont kill anything else. just be ready to feed live worms or if they take it frozen bloodworms

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sorry it took so long to see this...check out the FAQ at the top of the BW forum for a primer on brackish tanks, and some decent links to give you a good start on setting up a BW tank.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I have a 135 gallon brackish tank with large predatory fish I.E: Silver arowana, Red belly pacu, Redtail catfish, peacock bass, etc.
Just one question...why bother? I love brackish tanks, I've had several, but why these species? Every species you've listed is well capable of living out a full and healthy life in normal freshwater...why deal with the extra work and expense of keeping them in BW?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Just one question...why bother? I love brackish tanks, I've had several, but why these species? Every species you've listed is well capable of living out a full and healthy life in normal freshwater...why deal with the extra work and expense of keeping them in BW?
good question.

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Thanks!

carpenter547

The Desert Punk
Aug 11, 2010
imperial valley
Real Name
now that would be telling
hey new zeland i just saw your sig.

in your sig you state 2 mollies and some platies in two or your tanks.

you could use your mollies and your platies to cycle your brack tank and practice getting your brackish technique down. also they are super peaceful and will give you more *depending on sex of them* than you started with food for a predatory brack fish.

i have silver mollies in my tank with ghost shrimp and violet goby they all get along great.

if i am not mistaken toad fishes are a predatory brackish oddball fish that can live in your tank mabey it gets too big you might fall in love with brackish keeping. *personally i am fighting the urge to get a 125 gallon tank and make it brackish*

toad fish link
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/batrachoididae.htm

wetwebs fish list for your perusal and consideration
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishsubwebindex/bracfishes.htm

on a side note any one have some recomandations for a smallish schooling top living brackish fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store