Setting up a Brackish 20 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
Oh and also touching on the puffer fish concept, assuming you are referring to fish such as the green spotted puffer, all of them do live in freshwater, every single one of them for as long as they have been on this earth. Not saying they will stay there for the entirety of their lives, but fresh is where they spawn. So not to sound like a jerk, but that point is moot regarding the puffer fish comment, because they do in fact live in freshwater at least a fraction of their lives. I think others will agree with that point as well.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
a slight change in any parameter will not kill your fish, but it most likely will not cure the problem of ICH either. Any extreme that will kill the protozoan parasite, will most likely kill your fish as well. I'm all for finding things that are non chemical treatments, but for the most part, there is little that works quicker than a chemical treatment. For example, raising the temperature will speed up the life cycle of ICH, but unless supplemented by another treatment, it only speeds it up. Raising the salinity rapidly will kill the ICH but would also most likely kill the fish.
this is patently untrue. For the FW ich, Ichthyophthirius multifilis, it only takes a concentration of about 2-3 teaspoons of salt per gallon to reach lethal concentrations. This works out to a specific gravity of about 1.004. The vast majority of fish and plants will tolerate this (as your previous posts have attested to), especially short term (i.e. two or three weeks, long enough for ich to complete its life cycle).

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
As an addendum, this has been proven many times over by myself as well as many others that have cured Ich outbreaks in both FW and SW with 100% survival rates using only hypersalinity/hyposalinity, respectively.

Brackishtank

AC Members
Jun 6, 2010
New Zealand
Hi i live in nz to got some mono sebaes avalible on the fishlist I've had them in a 20 gallon BW (75) litre tank before so if you want some more info please ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store