Setting up African Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
It's amazing how a photo can make a tank look larger or smaller depending on the environment it is in, the decor/fish in the tank and the angle of the shot. I love the dramatic style close up shots in fish tanks, but as someone currently thinking about how to design a Mbuna tank - full tank photos are proving the most useful!

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Done on the cheap with blue background... the rocks are natural slate from the hardware store sold as floor tile for $10 a sheet along with some found rocks from around my property, mostly granite washed. All rocks cleaned, boiled and baked to sterilize before putting into the tank. Total cost for the rockpile about $30 USD.

DSC00167.JPG

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Done on the cheap with blue background... the rocks are natural slate from the hardware store sold as floor tile for $10 a sheet along with some found rocks from around my property, mostly granite washed. All rocks cleaned, boiled and baked to sterilize before putting into the tank. Total cost for the rockpile about $30 USD.
Looks heaps good. I think I'll get a blue background and how big is your tank?

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Also, my dolphin/s seem to be digging. But I don't know if they are male or female. So I don't know if they're making a nest or what.

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
The tank is a 75 gallon... 48x18x21 (LxWxH in inches). Digging is nomal, if you pile rocks similar to mine, make sure they are stable and that the digging won't cause them to turn over. They like to dig out under my rocks so I check them and fill back in when they get to far under.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store