Setting up African Cichlid Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Careful stocking required for that tank - you have a couple of decisions to make early on - malawi or tanganyikan for a start.

If malawi, you'd be mad to try anything but mbuna...then you need to decide all male (tricky) or a couple of groups of mixed male female (one male in each group, say 2 females).

A lot of people will say your tank is however basically too small for malawi and I would find it a little bit hard to disagree.

Perfect size for some small tanganyikans and say a compressiceps or a single tretocephalus though.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Careful stocking required for that tank - you have a couple of decisions to make early on - malawi or tanganyikan for a start.

If malawi, you'd be mad to try anything but mbuna...then you need to decide all male (tricky) or a couple of groups of mixed male female (one male in each group, say 2 females).

A lot of people will say your tank is however basically too small for malawi and I would find it a little bit hard to disagree.

Perfect size for some small tanganyikans and say a compressiceps or a single tretocephalus though.
:iagree:

3 feet is too small IMO for malawi...perfect for tangs however :D
Would be ok if I only had around 4-5 fish in there? And then when I think they're too big for the tank (which will take a long time for them to grow) I can sell them for a little extra cash.

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Do you think I should just make tank setup other than a cichlid one? Would that be better for me? Cause I was thinking of doing that.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Would be ok if I only had around 4-5 fish in there? And then when I think they're too big for the tank (which will take a long time for them to grow) I can sell them for a little extra cash.
Do you think I should just make tank setup other than a cichlid one? Would that be better for me? Cause I was thinking of doing that.
Generally speaking for a malawi setup I would say a standard 55 or 75 is a better size. Both are 48" which I would recommend as a minimum for a community.

You could try a single species with about 3 or 4 females for one male. That however would ensure fry, which not everyone has the room for or the resources to sell. It's really up to you. :)

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
pre98zetec: did you silicone (not silicon) the rocks together to prevent them from toppling? just curious.

also, i note some tiger barbs in there... :) (from another thread)

Last edited:

clenzpilot32

AC Members
Aug 29, 2008
NSW
Generally speaking for a malawi setup I would say a standard 55 or 75 is a better size. Both are 48" which I would recommend as a minimum for a community.

You could try a single species with about 3 or 4 females for one male. That however would ensure fry, which not everyone has the room for or the resources to sell. It's really up to you. :)
Are the fry easy to raise?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store