Setting up New Nano Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ander88

Newbie Mariner :)
Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Hi Guys

Just setting up my new orca TL450 (second hand)

Just need to be reasured im doing it right or if I need to do something different / better.

Ive already got a SW Reef running but when I set this up a year ago I think I started it wrong and took me ages to get it right, dont want to do this with this tank.

New tank is 58 Litres (13 UK Gal, 15 US Gal).

Heres what I have done so far.

Filled with half tank water from other setup and half New SW
Raised temps up to 24/25deg
Monitored SG to 1.024/1.025
Added a HOB filter to help clear the sand storm (will be removed when setup)
Added a Koralia Nano to help water flow around rock
Added some filter wool from other tank to help seed

The filtration system that is built into back of tank is half working and half not, need a new pump, not fully drawing air properly to drive the skimmer (one on order should be here next week) and I also need to make a spray bar of some sort for the output as this is missing.

Added 11lb (5 kg) of CURED live rock purchased from LFS
Added 10lb (4.5 kg) of CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Sand (I think i need more sand, Please correct me if I'm wrong)

So I've got everything in the tank, LS, LR, Filtration, Powerheads, temps good sg is good. (Still to test water paras with kits)

So as ive read on thousands of posts and sites, I should now add a shrimp/prawn to bring the ammo levels up to get the bacteria going. Can I add some frozen food and a cockle? Will this do the same job.

After this what are the next steps I should be doing?

Thanks in advance, Michael

BoJangles

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
RI
Adding a shrimp from the local deli will work how ever i will warn you that it will REEK. You can also use fish food(how ever it takes longer) but it wont stink

PICS WE NEED PICS!!

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Ive added a couple of cockles that I use to feed the main tank as a treat. And half a frozen food cube.

Believe me it reaks already after half an hour!!!

Will get pics up asap, not much to see at the minute.

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
***** PHOTOS ADDED *****

Heater still isnt in rear compartment as properly flow not there until get the pump replaced. Also lookin to put a pump in the return chamber too get some decent flow outa there.

Rock isnt set in place yet, everything just been put in to cycle then Ill worry about the appearance. Should look good though, rocks got some really cool blue flashes through it!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Cycle initiation/completion depends on a lot. How well your rock was cured before setuo is probably the biggest variable. I would test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate every other day for a week or so. By then you should have an idea of where you stand in the cycle and you can adjust your testing schedule accordingly.

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Sounds good. The Rock was sold as fully cured, but then I had to travel 2 hours with it in the car, wrapped in newspaper in plastic bags to try and keep it wet, which it did, but with exposure to the air I suspect there has been lots of die off and this will make hte process longer if Im right?

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Update.

So far nothing really has changed apart from the water has cleared up nicely.

The water paras are as follows:
Temp = 25degC
SG = 1.024
PH = 7.8
Nit = >1 ppm (Highest kit goes)
Nat = 50 ppm
Amm = 1ppm
Alk = 1.7 - 2.8 Range (Need a better kit)
Calc = Not Measured today

I am also waiting on parts to upgrade the tank.
I'm adding a MaxiJet600 Pump to the left hand chamber (return section) with 12mm eheim pipe attached to a Hydor Rotating Flo to help surface agitation and water flow in the tank. Also added a koralio Nano at the other side to keep the rock nice and happy.

Just need to make myself a spray bar (next project) and all should be good.

Just waiting for the cycle to complete.

From what I have learned previously and researched I'd just like to confirm that the cycle is going well and I know what Im doing.

So Ive added the cockles which when they "Rot" will add ammonia to the tank.
This ammonia will then show on test kit. Im looking for 4-5 ppm? So showing 1 on my kit isnt enough so I need to add more food etc to raise this? Right?
Then when the ammonia is being broken down by the bacteria the nitrates will show.
Then safe to add stock when the ammonia and nitrites read zero. Do I wait till nitrates also read zero?

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Could have swore I replied earlier. Anyway. it sounds to me like your cycle is in full swing. I wouldn't add anything else. You have ammonia and the bacteria are already converting it to nitrite. You bacteria population will adjust to your bioload and you only have so much surface area in your rock to house the bacteria. Just let it run its course and when ammonia and nitrite register zero, start your water changes to remove nitrate. Add a small cleanup crew first and let your tank adjust a bit, then add a fish that you want and let the population adjust again. You just need to add life slowly and allow your tank to mature. IMO, adding more sources of ammonia at this point will not provide much benefit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store