Setting up New Nano Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Its a very simple setup. I am using a Aquaclear HOB filter with only filter floss and Chemipure Elite. I also use the surface skimmer attachment which keeps my water surface clear. My lighting is a 4x39W, 36" Current Sundial T5HO. The tank is a 40 Breeder (36x18x16 (45 gallons).

ander88

Newbie Mariner :)
Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Does the Chemipure, stop any algae blooms etc, as I often have problems with red slime in my tank.

Heres some pics from this morning

You can really see the algae probs along the front of the sandbed.

Last edited:

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Just checked water paras again today and removed the cockles.

ph 7.8
alk 1.7-2.8
nit >1
nat 5
temp 24
sg 1.024

Looks like the cycle is nicely in swing. Just have to wait and keep an eye on it.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
The pics are AWESOME! Algae is perfectly normal in a fishtank. just get something that eats algae.

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Thanks FF, I've just done a little rescaping since I took those pictures this morning, not much. Thats my main tank so hopefully once I get the nano cycled it will be looking as good. I did orig plan on taking some corals from main tank for nano but the bug has caught me and I must have more!!!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The big tank looks sweet and everything looks happy and healthy. I don't know if Chemipure will do anything for red slime. It basically a carbon with some nutient scavengers in it. More of a preventative than a cure but I have had good luck with it. I think your best bed with the slime is a lot of water changes using a pure water source. You can also try cutting you light cycle down or doing a 3 day on/3 day off light cycle. Do you have any sand sifting Nasarius snails or Fighting Conchs (not agressive) to turn your sand bed? Honestly though it doesn't looks like you have a bad case. All sandbeds seem to have a little gunk along the front glass.

ander88

Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Yea ive got a few Nas Snails, not got any conchs though but may look into getting some. Are they powerful enough to move rocks like some other snails or quite timid?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Quite timid. They will burrow at times but they do not seen to get underneath rocks. They stay on the sandbed and use their elephant like trunk to graze on detritus and algae. Mine come out at night and when the lights come on in the morning, its white. I believe there are a few species of conchs out there. Mine are Florida Conchs and are smaller with a smooth shell and not the larger ones with the pointed shells. Those can get huge!

Here is one of my two:

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
US, north Florida. Just noticed your local. I would love to visit Scotland. Have may reef supply stores around you?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store