sexing elongatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
they seem to be close to 2". i dont think they are females thought as they all have the eggspot and when i vented them they looked like males. so i got 2 things backing me up. i see what you mean that they might be females but going by the venting im assuming they dont have their colors in yet. would females fight like mine have?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Females can fight with other females and I have a rusty female that even fight with the 2 rusty males. Eggspots are not always reliable to id genders; females of many species can have them. But you are right; if they are around 2" long now, they may not have their adult coloration yet; so, it's better to wait until they are at least around 2.5" .

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok thanks for the help. if they are all females than ill have to go buy a male. which sucks cuz a male costs like $29 and i really dont want to pay that much. but if i want to breed them......

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
You are welcome, Austin and I hope I have been of some help! And yes, you are right if you really want to breed them...:grinyes:

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Actually if they're all females you're pretty lucky, even if the male would run you a $29 fee. Alot of the times when you're growing out juvies you end up with an excess males and you're stuck either waiting for one of the males to breed with a female (and grow out your own), pay for more juvies and grow them out hoping you get more females, or pay more for a sub to adult female.

Try Dykemyster for male chailosis, I think I saw him selling some 3" ones on aquabid (and at that size you can pretty much sex them visually) or contact him directly and work out a deal, will be cheaper than $29 locally.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok. the i got mine from davesfish.com at a local fish auction. the females run for about $19 and males run $29. they are juvies. i suppose ill try the aquabid if the shipping isnt to much. i would like to breed these though as they are beautiful fish

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
using the pictures provided i think that they might be males. because if you look at my youtube video of them you can see that they have the intense coloration along the edges of their fins, as well as the bright yellow tale with the bright blue speckles on it. i dont think you can tell in the video but they are faintly starting to get the blue head on them. if they are all males as i think they are i might have to see if i can make dave a trade. 3 of my males for 3 females. do you think that a 2/3 ratio is enough or should it be 1/4?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I would make it 1M/4F, but wait until they are 2.5" long; to be sure about their gender.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ok, at their current rate of growth it shouldnt be long.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store