Shark Week...what the heck?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I have to agree with Jpap, here. I watched about 15-20 min before I just couldn't take it anymore. I was hoping it would be an actual nature documentary on Megalodon, but noooo. I can't believe there are people out there that may have thought this stupidity was 'real.'

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm surprised I watched as long as I did...

I saw the Mermaids show with some friends, mostly just to humor them. When I started joking about the inconsistencies with basic biology they got very defensive. I'm not sure whether they were playing along or if they actually believe it, but I wouldn't doubt there are people buying into this crud.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Discovery should be ashamed of themselves over this junk. I turned it on about halfway in and could only watch 5 mins before I had to walk out. I'm going to have to fix my students little brains because of this and the mermaid nonsense.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Discovery should be ashamed of themselves over this junk. I turned it on about halfway in and could only watch 5 mins before I had to walk out. I'm going to have to fix my students little brains because of this and the mermaid nonsense.
Zaffy sometimes I remember you're a teacher and wonder who has to fix the students' brains after you are done with them ;)

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I could not believe Discovery would stoop so low and pull an Animal Plant...
Same network, so it really shouldn't be a shock.

Discovery Communication was bad enough when they switched to horribly scripted reality shows (its like someone was challenged to inject plot holes into 'reality'... and took their job VERY seriously...). But yeah, when they started doing spoof documentaries and relying on tiny post-credit disclaimers that no one actually will see, they just got ridiculous.

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I watched Mermaids, because, well, I wasn't entirely sure that the show was just a load of crap at first. And this will sound shallow, because it is, but my first clue that it was likely to be *completely* fabricated (I didn't catch the "half-man, half-fish, all conjecture" verbiage on the trailer until after I watched it) was that the scientists, especially the girls, were pretty.

No, I don't believe smarts and looks are incompatible. I do believe that people with looks are less likely to focus on such careers when there are easier options with more obvious compensation to the level of effort exerted. I mean, Terry Bradshaw (maybe not much on the looks) for example took the professional athlete route, but he could also have had a career as a petroleum engineer, which is what he got a degree in at Louisiana Tech.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Ok jumping on the band wagon here...

Anyone else watch the voodoo shark? The rookin! Now that was a load of crap, horrible show.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I watched Mermaids, because, well, I wasn't entirely sure that the show was just a load of crap at first. And this will sound shallow, because it is, but my first clue that it was likely to be *completely* fabricated (I didn't catch the "half-man, half-fish, all conjecture" verbiage on the trailer until after I watched it) was that the scientists, especially the girls, were pretty.

No, I don't believe smarts and looks are incompatible. I do believe that people with looks are less likely to focus on such careers when there are easier options with more obvious compensation to the level of effort exerted. I mean, Terry Bradshaw (maybe not much on the looks) for example took the professional athlete route, but he could also have had a career as a petroleum engineer, which is what he got a degree in at Louisiana Tech.
Well I know what you mean. You can't put a bunch of good looking 20-30 something year olds together and call them experts. They looked like they were barely out of school...and they certainly do not speak scientifically. At all.

Also I definitely would not include Terry Bradshaw in an explanation involving looks :rofl:

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I grew up watching animal planet and discovery channel. The crocodile hunter was even my childhood hero! Its disgusting that there are no educational shows. Now its just reality and drama shows that don't even relate to animals. Its no longer "surprisingly human" because its all human. I would much rather see documentaries and more shows like planet earth. Anyone know of a channel that still shows stuff like the older animal planet and discovery channels?
Nat Geo is still decent IMO. They're doing a 7 part documentary series on North America. I've watched all of the parts that came out( that i know of). The Science Channel is cool, too. Alot of theories on evolution and how the Universe and Earth could've possibly been created.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store