Shells for a shellie tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I found the aragonite sand for this tank, and the Eco complete for the other 29 I am setting up too. I have painted the backgrounds on them and letting them dry. I think I am going to put 10 Lamprologus ocellatus, and 5 Altolamprologus calvus in this tank. Any thoughts on the livestock? Will these two work together?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
AFAIK occies wont form a colony as easily as multis and are more of a harem breeder. I don't think a 29g would have nearly enough space for more than a couple male territories so make sure you are certain about which sex you are getting if you go with that many initially.

The calvus will eventually outgrow the 29g, although they are apparently a slow growing species. That being said, I wouldn't do 5 and would stick to more a pair or trio (1m/2f) or something along those lines. Also keep in mind they have fairly large mouths. I'm not sure at what point, if any, an adult size occie would be in trouble...but fry/juvies might not last long. Just my thoughts though...

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Yeah I see your point. I would not mind just going with a single species shellie in this tank, it just seems like with the height of a 29 it would be a waste of space. Trying to figure out some mid swimmers that may work. Not sure if there are any though.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Livebearers and rainbows seem to be the most commonly suggested due to water chemistry preferences...but I doubt you would have issues adding any of the normal sized danios, rasboras, barbs, etc. so long as they aren't too nippy.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I'm trying to stay with tangs though.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
There's not much in terms of open water species outside of Cyps which need much more space.

I would go with a Julidochromis pair myself. They cling to the rockwork so if you 'scaped it well you could make better use of the height. Adding plants like Vallisneria (which always seem to do well in harder water IME) would also give the tank more dimension.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I think if i go with Julies, which have crossed my mind several times, I would go with some Sumbu dwarfs then. Would a pair of Lamps work with that too? Or should I just stay with the pair of Julies?

Decisions, decisions....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I prefer to go shell + rock species given the floor space you have. If you do want just the occies and sumbus then you would want to break up the separate shell areas physically and visually. I doubt there would be enough room for all three species.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
If I go with the Sumbu, then I would not get the occies. So I'm thinking like 8 sumbu, a pair of Julies, and a pair of lamps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store