Should I get a pair or a single angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I wasn't able to use a QT tank for my angelfish. (I live in an apartment, and only one tank is allowed, no exceptions). So, she went straight in to the main tank. She was very shy at first, and mostly hung out in the plants by the heater. She did eat when I fed her, but not as greedily as my other fish. And she did wait for the food to come to her, while the other fish went to the food. Some foods she clearly liked better than others--the frozen blood worms/brine shrimp especially. I've had her for a couple months now I think, and not only has she grown a lot in size, she's also gained a lot of confidence. She's out and about much more, and will chase the other fish sometimes too. Not really aggressively, but definitely asserting her authority, and claiming territory. (oh and I have no idea if it's a she, but my roommate wants her to be so she is). I do think having many hiding places helped her feel more secure in the beginning.

Emily

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I guess I'll move it and the rummies over tonight. On the plus side, that means I can move up my EBR acquisition. Which also means I should expedite my moving my RCS out of the 55 into the 10.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Well, even though I generally prefer a decent quarantine period, I moved them all over tonight. If any of the rummies had anything, the angel already has it anyway, so there really isn't any additional risk to moving them as well as the angel. The angel didn't eat anything after the move. However, my wife saw it poop, so it must've been eating something today. The thing that pleases me most about it so far, is that while in QT, the angel either hung out by the heater, or by/in the stupid castle thing. During the 15 or so minutes after the move, the angel explored a significant portion of the 55, going from side to side, exploring the ends, stopping at the filter intakes, investigating the heater, swimming around driftwood and through plants. It's at least much more active. I'll just leave the QT up and running for now, probably do a water change, and pick up the rams Saturday.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Well, definitely more active, even this morning. However, still not particularly interested in food. In the 55, though, it's (I'm probably going to start calling it Seraph) made some darting motions at objects in the tank. I'm wondering if he is picking off tiny shrimplets. If so, I'm annoyed, but it's my fault for not moving the RCS out of there sooner.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
If you have tiny shrimplets in your tank with the angel, I am sure he's eating them. However, from what I've read here about RCS, once you move them out of the 55, you will have many more tiny shrimplets....

Emily

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sure I'll get new clutches hatching. I seem to have about one clutch every week or so that hatches, because that's how often I can find barely visible things that look like shrimp if you look hard enough.

I'm more annoyed because it'll slow down how fast I get new stuff! I trade some in to my LFS for store credit weekly, so picking off my bartering materials is irksome. Meh. We'll work it through. Right now, I'm more worried about Seraph getting himself situated in the tank. I've got 75 or so RCS in a 10, and will move others over as I catch them. I just need to find some easily removable decorations that'll provide a lot of surface area, yet not impede water flow.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Okay, so it looks like Seraph has been busy picking off the shrimplets, because I can't find any. I guess that's bad news, but if he's eating, I'll deal with it. Granted, I'll mostly deal with it by pulling more RCS out of that tank, but hey, it's progress. Also, I've discovered that Seraph is not a fan of Omega One flake, but does like the NLS pellets. He'll actually go to the surface to grab pellets in the 55, which he wouldn't do in the 10, so I'm thinking this was a good move in that regard. Thanks for the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store