Should I get a pair or a single angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Kinda sucky, but kinda cool, too. It's good of them to do the refund like that.
The LFS owner told me he went as far as to autopsy some of these deceased angels to check for intestinal parasites. Nothing. They're not sure why it's happening. He did say the local breeder is very particular. His theory is the breeder's tanks may be "too sterile"? He gave me the option of waiting, and he'd give me another angel once they're sure everything is A-OK, or just refund the cash. I took the cash and wound-up spending most of it right back at the store anyway.

Got two Siamese Algae eaters and a large potted wisteria plant for my 55g.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you have RCS in the tank??

the angel won't need any food till they run out.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
you have RCS in the tank??

the angel won't need any food till they run out.
Yep. A fraction of the original couple hundred, but yeah. Almost all full grown adults though. The shrimplets have been gone since Friday, at least, it seems. Still some smaller juvies, but between the angel and the rams, I don't think the small ones are lasting very long. I don't think there's a berried RCS left in the tank. I've been making a point to fish those out when I see them. In fact, I'm contemplating taking off the prefilters on my intakes, so the little ones have something that might resemble a chance. I still expect a dozen or two out of my canister next time I clean it, and I can probably find 3 or 4 in my AC 70 right now, if I look.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm guessing that the angel was preferring to gorge on RCS babies. Yesterday and today, Seraph has been quite the little piglet at feeding time. I feel better about that whole situation now.

Thing is, I think the shrimplets have just decided that discretion is the better part of valor. Using a flashlight last night showed at least a dozen small enough for Seraph or my rams to eat foraging under shells and stuff.

Last edited:

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
I'm glad to hear the bashful one is just eating from a different restaurant! I was worried about your non-eater..I am painfully nursing an angelfish back from I guess septacemia, and brother, it is a slow process, I'm hoping she will begin eating cichlid pellets off bottom as she is a little clumsy trying to get flake.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Provided enough cover with plants and driftwood, shrimp and shrimplets will do just fine with dwarf cichlids and angels. If you are very fond of your shrimp, then remove them. But they have a very strong sense of survival, and with enough cover, you should always have some in your tank.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm glad to hear the bashful one is just eating from a different restaurant! I was worried about your non-eater..I am painfully nursing an angelfish back from I guess septacemia, and brother, it is a slow process, I'm hoping she will begin eating cichlid pellets off bottom as she is a little clumsy trying to get flake.
Septacemia does not sound fun at all. I feed primarily NLS freshwater pellets, the .5 mm variety, and s/he's been mostly getting the pellets as they sink, or when particularly hungry, while they're still at the surface.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Provided enough cover with plants and driftwood, shrimp and shrimplets will do just fine with dwarf cichlids and angels. If you are very fond of your shrimp, then remove them. But they have a very strong sense of survival, and with enough cover, you should always have some in your tank.
Oh, quite the sense of survival. I've been seeing more and more shrimplets in the tank, albeit only at night with the aid of a flashlight, so they're finding hiding places in the plants. Of course, I know the angel is actively wending through the plants to look for them, but still, the population in that tank is slowly growing again.

kissofcrimson

AC Members
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Sounds like your little angelfish is doing pretty good.

Angelfish are notorious for being picky eaters and I learned that with some of the angels I had. My angels (esp my main breeding pair) loved frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and dried krill/shrimp as well as a variety of pellets. Have you tried any live foods besides baby rcs? I cultured mosquito larvae, crickets (they preferred the babies), ghost shrimp and brine shrimp. They also loved when I would give them baby dragonflies, small worms, moths and flies.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
No, I have not fed any live food. Seraph even ignores frozen bloodworms, more often than not. Also, being so small, I doubt moths and flies and the like are small enough to fit his/her mouth. Doesn't seem to be growing as fast as I expected, either. Maybe I'll have to culture some BBS or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store