Should I get an anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carpenterwrasse

AC Members
May 2, 2005
pittsburgh pa
i've had a maroon clown that liked my L.t.a. and also buddied with my flower he didn't take to b.t.a much but yhey are like people to a degree they pick and choose their friends. Right now my 3 ocelleris clowns dodn't care for any of the 4 anemones i have but I am in considerastion to get 2 more a ritteri and a rose we'll see what happens after that.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I can't think of any reason to have 6 anemones in any size tank.

My maroons have hosted with a long tenticle and RBTA, they are agressive and beat the anemone to death though, both times.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Is your tank suitabel for holding an anemone and do you understand what it will take to feed it and keep it alive in the long run?

Sregnar35

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I have heard many contradicting accounts on what it takes to keep an anemone. Many experts recommend feeding, others feel that feeding them is not warranted. Lighting is also highly debated. But from conclusions I have made, and betting on my tanks success, yes, I am confident that I can keep an anemone.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
The only people I would take advice from on anemones is those that have managed to succesfully keep them for years. Conflicting advice from people that get new ones every 6 months doesn't mean that much. Source checking is very important. Realize that anemones die very slowly, living for months as they slowly starve to death.

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
Understood, most of my decision came from reading FAQ's and other articles from wetwebmedia.com. A few other sources slip my mind, but were reliable as well.

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Heres some advicde I have learned:

Don't buy an anemone from an LFS unless your sure its healthy.
Anemones need MH lighting.
Anemones need to be fed MORE than once a week.
I have had two anemones, from different stores... each for 4months (until my marrons beat them up, they were much larger than the anemone)

Anyway, most LFS that I have seen keep their anemones under NO lighting, which is rediclious. They are animals... they are photosynth and they need meaty food. When I got my rose buble tipped anemone it hid in my tank for weeks because it wasn't use to the PC lighting, while it hid under a rock it was hard to feed becuase of its position and my clowns didn't leave it alone once it grabed on to food. I was so dissapointed that my beautiful anemone couldn't get use to the light, even when I tryed to slowly acclimate it to the light cycle.

If I were to buy anemone again I would purchase it from an online source, which is reputable, where you can see the anemone before you purchase it, and know the conditons its living in their tank, lighting.

Its very terrible idea to have 6 anemones in a tank.. JMO, Theres no way you can know anything about them to think its alright to have more than two... their demands are so high and I haven't seen more than a dozen people who have kept them over a year... with the last 2 years i've been in the hobby, in person or on a forum.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well I've had some of my anemones for a pretty long time 2.5 to 3 years. In their life cycle that's just a drop in the bucket but, they seem to thrive and have reproduced in my tanks ,"that's not always a good thing by the way somtimes they do it due to stresses,". Metal halide is an absolute must for most species," the exception being tubes they don't need the light at all and aren't really a true anemone. " They also need a tank that is at least 8 monts old and very stable no c.c. or fish that will pick at them.
Please listen to what wastememphis said about clowns beating them to death they do a lot of the time. I would also limit them to 1 or maybe 2 varieties per tank ,"rose and green bta being counted as different types." That absolutly must be feed I feed my roses every other day with a bit of meaty raw sea food and on the off days I dose with phyto/zoe plancton they also need dietary suppliments like selcon for example.
I'm not sure that they aboslutly need a host I have one tomato clown and 12 roses ," at last count and I count every day :)" It seems to host mostly in 2 or 3 of them and ignore the rest unless the giant hand comes into the tank. If you must get a rose please get a c.b. one from a trusted source they don't have all the bleaching collection issues that a lot of the wild caught ones do. Also be harsh when selecting if they are ANY signs of bleaching a ripped foot open mouth etc reject it. The chances of someone with a lot of experience nursing anything more than a slight bleaching back to health are really low. Also if you want multiple anemones make sure that they are cloens of one individual other wise if they clump up in a colony even the same species will often times sting each other to death.
My honest advise to you would be to start out with one of the anemones that don't host clowns like a rock or a tube anemone. Rock being the first choice because it won't reproduce in your tank won't move around much and it can take the bio-chemical weapons produced by your roses when you get them down the road. Always keep their bio-chemical activities in mind if you have other inverts like corals etc in the tank . You'll need to run charcoal or other carbon filtration to deal with these issues.
They really are great critters but, they aren't for every set up out there. IMHO you really should build the tank with the anems in mind that's more true for some varieties than others of course.
I hope this helps you and please be sure that you really want a creature that your grand children will inherit from you. They live longer than parrots and need VERY stable conditions that also means if you get them and something gets out of whack you'll have to adjust your conditions back to normal very slowly.
chris

Sregnar35

Aug 21, 2003
Upstate NY
Visit site
I read from multiple reliable sources that MH lighting in NOT a must? That would be my only hold up right now. I'm running 260W PC's on my 75g.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store