Should I get an anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Once again I would look to see who had managed to keep the type of anemone you want alive for more thana few years and follow their setup. That is the best way to approach it at this point. The fact is that no one really knows what is needed for a home tank setup and the keeping of anemones is really a new thing and much harder than keeping fish, invert or corals. Find the most successful people and take what they have as a starting point.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I agree with you here TKOS. They really do much,much, better under halides Streg yes they can make it under p.c.'s but, they have so much more color and need a little less food under halides. "tubes, curly ques and lta's being a bit of an exception. Yes the roses will also live under p.c.'s but, they thrive under halides. You chances of getting them to reproduce are also IME much better under halides.
**TKOS You really do have a point to man. Even if you keep one of these critters alive for 20 years that is only a small portion of what a lot of them can make it in the wild. On the other side of the coin though a lot of them don't make it there whole possible life span in the wild either. I wouldn't encourage any one under any circumstances that isn't a really experienced reefer to try one of these wonderful critters. As a matter of fact I would encourage anyone that has to have one to try a tube or a rock anem first . They are much more forgiving and seem to adjust better to tank conditions than most.
Other than that go /c.b. all the way .

Last edited:

carpenterwrasse

AC Members
May 2, 2005
pittsburgh pa
maxilaria, I have had several anemones over the years that i have been into salt and buy far my best luck was with a l.t.a that i had for years untill I had to move my tank for painting then it went south....My flowers are doing fine and my bulb is soso at best. After I start back to work i will adding 260 watts to my 220 watts along with 4 lunar lights. does that sound like good lighting? When you say to buy from a trusted source do you have anyone that you recomend...I am intersted in your opinon

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well, what I do is make a post in the want adds here or elsewhere on the net. You can also find captive raised anemones on some sites but, it's been quite some time since I've bought one. The last rose I purchased was from a member of a local reef club he had no problems with me comming over and looking at his set up and his critters.
I know that won't be possible for lots of people so what I'd do if I couldn't get one from a fellow reefer is go to the local lfs and ask when they are going to get some in. The day they come in go and get one with good colour; no rips or tears on the foot; closed mouth and ask the lfs store to feed it.
Something else to keep in mind is these guys eat fish. They aren't picky either anything meaty is on their list of fave things to eat so plan accordingly.
When you say your bulb is doing so-so how do you mean? I might be able to help you out a bit bro.
hth
Chris

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I'm sure chris can help you, hes the "one" to ask on this site, IMO.

Chris: I know carpet anemones need alot of current/light. What about RBTA, can they survive in chaotic current in an SPS tank? I dont know if my clowns could, but was wondering about an anemone for them in my new tank. SPECS: 65gallon tank, 2 x250wattDE 10000k metal halides (PFO mini pendant), EuroReefES5-3 Skimmer, Mag5 return, right now I have 5maxi jet 1200s but I'm thinking of doing two closed loops instead, and if I need more I'll get a tunze 6060. The tank doesn't have water in it yet, and I'm ordering the lights in a month or two, but thats what the set up will be... I have everything but the baffels in the sump and the lights (i bought a bucket of salt for this tank and its next to my new RO/DI unit yay!)

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Without any problems if you give it long enough to stick somewhere. Also if it's in too much flow it'll move to a more sheltered location. In a set up like they'll reproduce for you if they get enough food. They really don't need clowns just target feed and away you go bro.
Also fwiw try if you can to put them in b/4 the sps or they might move across the top of them and sting/get stung.
That sounds like a rocking set up keep us posted
W.M thanks for the compliment it really made my day!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store