Shrimp colouring

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
I agree danimal, its not a hybrid, but another color variation in neocaridina. It certainly does look like a more wild type. I think there is some confusion on semantics. Hybrids are mixes of species. Neocaridina are all the same species, just different color morphs. So when they breed, they aree not hybrids, just produce different colors.
This is not correct either.

Neocaridina is the Genus; there are many Neocaridina species! A Blue Pearl Shrimp is not the same species of shrimp as the Red Cherry Shrimp.

The first name in a scientific name is the Genus
The second name is the Species

A Red Cherry Shrimp is Neocaridina (genus) heteropoda (species)
A Blue Pearl Shrimp is Neocaridina (genus) cf. zhangjiajiensis (species)

So they are different species, but they are closely enough related that they can hybridize with each other.

A hybrid would be Neocaridina heteropoda breeding with Neocaridina cf. zhaghiahiensis. A cross breed would be Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Red) breeding with Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Yellow).

southerndesert

Invert Obsessed
May 4, 2008
Arizona
www.arizonainverts.com
Agreed wild type Neocaridina sp. and if left to breed with the others you will likely end up with a colony that all look like her over time...

I keep this type of shrimp and they are actually very interesting shrimp even if not as colorful as some of the various color morphs of this species.

I would keep her and her offspring in their own tank.... What species exactly? Almost impossible to know without an expert with a microscope.

Bill

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
No problem! Dwarf Shrimp have become quite a hobby for me. Who knew when I was sitting in college getting my marine bio degree talking about sharks, fish and coral that I would find a passion for these 1-2" little freshwater guys!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I am also completely obsessed, and appreciate your longevity and expertise in the hobby! Never when i bought 10 shrimp a couple years ago would I have thought it would grow to 14 tanks! LOL

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006

Danimal62

AC Members
Dec 24, 2007
Lucky,
That is the problem with Neocaridina species. They are next to impossible to identify with out a microscope and a trained eye. I will say it does look like a Neocaridina, but beyond that it is impossible to say.

I would venture to guess that the offspring would be wild type in color. Cant say for certain!

cymrufem

AC Members
Apr 16, 2008
She looks similar to my bamboo shrimp, with that striping down her back and colouration, but since she has no fans on her legs to filter feed, that rules that out. She is a very pretty mommy to be and please keep us updated on her progress!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store