Shrimp euthanasia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
OK... I have some curved forceps that work great... but where is the mouth? I put it up under his head... and some nubs of appendages work like crazy... but I don't see anything going in, although he's sort of opaque so it's not like when a ghost shrimp eats. Do you think he's getting any of it? Where exactly should I put the pellet so his "teeth" can get to it?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Rach.... I'll try again and try to get the pellet in the right place. brb

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You could also use a piece of clear rigid tubing and just roll a pellet where you need it.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
OK... I think he did eat some of it... but he's very stressed; I can see his little heart beating so fast. I'm going to let him rest for the night. I made sure there are no snails in the trap with him, so they won't try to snack on him.

I think he must have lost his big claws/legs in a fight... and then couldn't defend himself so his other appendages have been torn off, too. I feel so bad that I didn't notice. It must have happened during the night.

I'll try to help him... but if he starts to look like he's not doing well I will euthanise him. Thanks, everyone, so much. Deb, if I need to euthanise I will do the freezer method you suggested.

EDIT: Thanks, Rach, for the picture of shrimp anatomy.

EscVelocity

AC Members
Oct 6, 2009
Might pick up some seaweed called nori (same stuff they wrap sushi in) and process it to a paste. Offer it to the shrimp with a syringe. The seaweed is rich in calcium,iodine, and other minerals.It will help with its molting process, and help regenerate lost limbs quicker.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, guys. Update: I was able to hold some flakes with the curved forceps as I sort of propped him upright with the forceps full of flake, his tail fins pressed against the side of the breeder.

I maneuvered the tip up to his mouth and I saw his poor little nubs just going crazy and the next thing I saw, through the carapace as it was goiing into his body, was pink flake ! NOM NOM NOM

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store