Shrimp euthanasia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
YAHOOOOO!!! I was able to get him to eat some FBWs. It was like trying to thread a needle in a windstorm, lol. I finally saw where his dang mouth is exactly. I can't just put food in the near vicinity of his mouth... I have to go in between the nubs of his two front legs where he used to have the pretty red claws, and then fight the turbulence of the little nubs of his other legs.

Too, the worm has to be turned on the tips of the forceps so that it sort of points up and floats upwards as I aim (between the front two nubs) for his mouth.

He was resisting me at first; he'd spring his body so he jetted away from me, afraid I was trying to hurt him, but after the first few worms he became more cooperative, lol.

I took some pics so we can chronicle his (hopefully) recovery. I took one pic with my left hand as I tried to feed him some flake with the right. Unless the flake keeps it's shape and is billowy and floats up to his mouth you can't get the flakes into him easily.

I tried to take a pic as I fed him the worms but once he started sucking them up he was too quick and I needed to use both hands to aim and shoot. I'm not a very good photographer and this digital camera is an older model, too.

Here are some pics:
INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 001.JPG
Here you can really see the extent of the damage, poor guy.

INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 002.JPG
It's difficult to get a good angle with the forceps in that breeder trap. If he'd just let me hold him I could feed him easily, lol.

INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 003.JPG
This pic was taken after he had one or two worms. After this shot he figured out what I was doing and he ate like a pig and I can see his tummy is full of nice fat FBWs, though I didn't get a pic of that.
I'm worn out myself, lol.

Oh, snail experts, please notice the snail in the upper area of pic number two and tell me what that is, please. It came with some anachris from the lfs. It looks like an MTS but I'm not sure.

INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 003.JPG INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 002.JPG INJURED SHRIMP 10 14 09 001.JPG

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Yes, frig... I'm glad I decided to not follow your advise to squish him, lol.
I would have chosen a less up close and personal violent end... the freezer.

Last edited:

montanafish gal

AC Members
Aug 1, 2009
Montana
I personally have never ever cared for shrimp in any way except for cooked in garlic butter but this thread has actually got me cheering for the life of your little shrimp. :) I hope he makes it!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Thanks, Montanna and Jinkz! I'm kinda fired up about it. It is very encouraging to get so much food into him. If he recovers he will be one awesome little dude, in my book.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store