Silly Ory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
The main tank parameters are pH 7.6, nitrates 40 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm and ammonia 0 ppm. The QT are pH 7.6, nitrates 20 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm and ammonia 0.25 ppm. I don't understand why the ammonia isn't 0 - this was about half an hour after the water was changed?

If it's just an injury related thing, do I need to feed him anything special or should I give him what he normally gets? (Aquarian advanced nutrition goldfish pellets and peas on Fridays).
if ammonia is still detected i would do larger water changes,.. as being ill and alone and in uncycled tank,.. you don't want to stress him with ammonia and nitrite ,..

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
OK I did 50% today, you reckon like 60 tomorrow? His wen is looking better today than it was yesterday - I think that I will put him back in the main tank when it's been better a week, or is this not enough? He's looking much happier than he was yesterday - swimming around and trying to eat bubbles from the bubble stick...I kind of like having him in a plain tank cos then I can see him perfectly without other fish/plants/ornaments getting in the way!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Corrie, I've looked more closely at his photo. The bumpy red area on the wen looks external.. a minor injury that should heal well with clean water, good food, and some time, as it seems to be doing already.

I spotted something else, as well. There are distinct red streaks, enlarged blood veins in the lower fins. There may also be some fin degredation of the tail, but I can't make that out well enough from this photo to be sure it's not just the photo. Those red streaks are a sign of poor water quality.

In this photo, I edited the one you posted to zoom in better on just the fish... to get a closer look.

Here is the red spot on the wen. If this is something than more than just him bumping into something or getting himself snagged, then you'll be able to tell what happens with this going forward now that he's in quarantine. (Paperdragon was right advising you not to add another fish in QT just because he's lonesome. That defeats the purpose of separating one fish from the others if you do that.)

This photo is actually from the reflection (I just flipped it upside down). Looking from underneath the fish, it's redder.

Here is a closer view of the red streaky veins of his lower fins... which is quite pronounced. That does not appear to be normal.

In this photo, I tried to get a better look at Ory's tail finnage. Hard to tell here from the image you provided, so examine that carefully.

In the other thread Lupin linked for us, the tank looks nice. The hut is a problem for them, but you've taken that out already. I thought the sand layer looks excessively deep for the way this tank appears. I would not recommend using that much sand in such a relatively bare tank. The only time I'd go that deep would be when the tank is HEAVILY planted and there's significant bulk to the plants' root system. Without there being a massive amount of plants in here, you don't need more than one inch of sand at the bottom. Reducing the depth of this substrate (gradually, a little at a time while doing regular cleanings)... may help you maintain better water quality.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
OK I did 50% today, you reckon like 60 tomorrow? His wen is looking better today than it was yesterday - I think that I will put him back in the main tank when it's been better a week, or is this not enough? He's looking much happier than he was yesterday - swimming around and trying to eat bubbles from the bubble stick...I kind of like having him in a plain tank cos then I can see him perfectly without other fish/plants/ornaments getting in the way!
I'd make sure the wen heals completely before moving him back.:thumbsup:

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Kashta, I can't see the photos. Is the damage likely to be due to the water quality now? When I first got him he was a present for my boyfriend but I stepped in after a few months when I realised he wasn't being looked after - there were 6 of them in a 6G, when I found out that was waaaay too many I put them in the pond (which then became overstocked) and when I got my 55G I moved some of them over again. Anyway they've only been in the 55G for a month and a bit (max), which wouldn't be enough to fix the damage, would it? The water quality in the main tank has been fine, the filter was precycled and for the first two weeks I was doing 30% WCs everyday just in case. Ammonia and nitrites are always 0 ppm, nitrates vary.

As for the sand, I'm gradually planting it up - it looks quite a lot different now to that photo.

PHOT0505.JPG

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
He is looking much better now - comparisons of when he was first put in and yesterday. Don't know if I remembered to say I managed to rehome the single tails and am plotting...

P6150031.JPG PHOT0159.JPG

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
great turnaround! much better!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
That's great! I love Ory.:hearts:
Me too! :D Had another ornament related incident yesterday with a sneaky purchase that replaced the single tails and was in QT. All ornaments are now banned from all tanks, which is a shame cos I was going for the ruined underwater city look. (I should have listened to all of you...*sigh*)

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
Python accident.

PHOT0161.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store