Small Anubias Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I have an immersed Anubias plant in anoutside tank that has sent long stem like branches outside the tank (pic 1). This contained a number of nice little white flowers (pic 2). After the flowers died out, I was left with bundles of little circular bulbs (pic 3). Now, small plants are growing out of them (pic 4).

I want to cut off the small plants and plant them in my main display tank (submerged). How best do I do this?

Is the plant the right size now or should I wait for it to grow more?

There is almost no root at present. Will that be a problem or will the roots develop once in water?

DSCF0603.jpg DSCF0553.jpg DSCF0600.jpg DSCF0601.jpg

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
Are you sure that's an Anubius? Sure looks like and Echinodorus argentensis to me.
Looked like anubias when it was fully submerged. When the leaves grew out of water, the new leaves changed shape. They used to be much wider before but since it has started flowering, the leaves got smaller and die more quickly

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
Whats the time sequence for each pic??? just curious in what time period did the flower dry up and then start forming new leaves..
When I noticed the stem, it already had a couple of flowers on. From that time to the new leaves forming... I'd say about 3 weeks.

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
gs:

I am no plant guru but I partially concur with midiamin as the leaves do not appear to be annubias.

I also partially concur with Mg except that IMHO cutting off a submerged leaf cluster very, very near the stalk has the greatest probability of propagation.

TR

soobie

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
eastern oregon, USA
Real Name
Sue
That is not an Anubias flower. Anubias flowers are enclosed in a spathe. There's a picture here.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Looks like a sword of some kind.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Those look like the leaves of an emersed amazon sword to me flowers, plantlets, and all. The flowers are definitely not anubias flowers and anubias don't branch off like that to form new plantlets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store