Small tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
EMG: really like the river tank espescially all the plants.
EMG or anyone else who knows: If Iwere to place a five and a couple smaller tanks in a cubbyhole and use a small space heater or reptile heater(they do exist right)on a thermostat would that keep the tanks at a good temp. or will it just be on all time over heating the tank because it's trying to keep the room warm? If it's the later I think I'll make the cubby hole a insulated (with styrofoam) and partally sealed terarium. my parents seem to have something aggainst having the heat on (for the house, because of the power usage) so some form of heat will be needed. I know I will be getting a 2.5g in a few days and already have the 5g. I had 10g's without heaters wich was fine, in the summer. I checked the temps and imeadiatly added heaters I had sitting around.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
kveeti said:
Do the cutting a slit in the center of a piece of foam (with an exacto blade thingy), slipping it onto the intake and tying it in place, like people have prefilters. I got my formosas as babies, so I haven't had any fry yet, though a couple of my biggest females now look preggers.
I use some kind of mesh my mom has over the filter intakes on my tanks. just make sure it's tight over the intake, I had a cory swimming up the tube and a moor getting it's eye stuck. no fatalitys though. You should be able to get it at a craft store.

Gena575

AC Members
Feb 7, 2006
dorkfish said:
EMG: really like the river tank espescially all the plants.
EMG or anyone else who knows: If Iwere to place a five and a couple smaller tanks in a cubbyhole and use a small space heater or reptile heater(they do exist right)on a thermostat would that keep the tanks at a good temp. or will it just be on all time over heating the tank because it's trying to keep the room warm?.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Please if someone thinks this is dangerous or flat out won't work, say so!

What about something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9771&N=2006+22787 under the tanks? It would take some experimenting as to placement and such...maybe even timer use to keep from overheating, but it might just work?? I think I would try it with empty (edit: as in no fish, just water) tanks first LOL!

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Gena, the only problem with something like that mat is that you can't regulate it. As far as finding a way to heat your 2 1/2 and 5....the 5 shouldn't be a problem to heat. I had a 25watt heater in one of my 5s and it worked fine. I have since replaced that with a walmart jr. heater because I needed the 25 for another tank. That too works well. The jr heater should also work for your 2 1/2. You can't regulate those heaters, but I have found them to do well in the 2 and 5 size tanks. If you have the smaller tanks in the cubby right next to the 5.....with only the front exposed, the heat from the 5 may be enough to keep the smaller tanks warm enough. You could try it out and see...put a thermometer in each tank and see what you get.

DF...being a parent myself.....with bills and all... I can totally understand your parents desire to keep the energy usage down....lol....don't be too hard on them DF, they're saving up for your college education....LOL ! A heater like you were talking about for your cubby area probably would just be on all the time because the front would be open to the room temp.

I'd say the best solution for that area would be lighting. You could try using a towel or something over the open front at night when you turn the lights out.....better yet....lol.....a small shade type item attached under the shelf, that you can just pull down to close the opening....lol.....what a brilliant idea..... :rolleyes:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Gena575 said:
I'm just thinking out loud here. Please if someone thinks this is dangerous or flat out won't work, say so!

What about something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9771&N=2006+22787 under the tanks? It would take some experimenting as to placement and such...maybe even timer use to keep from overheating, but it might just work?? I think I would try it with empty (edit: as in no fish, just water) tanks first LOL!
IMO those are dangerous to use with tanks. I've used those, as well as several other brands and Flex Watt heat tape, for my ball pythons and while you *can* buy a thermostat to control them, they are not water proof or water resistant.

They are also not supposed to be used with acrylic or plastic *at all*. They will melt plastic or acrylic easily and most small tanks are not made of glass.

Some of them get very hot -- many snakes need heat in the 100-110* range -- and I wouldn't trust a tank sitting on them, period.

The 25w heaters Emg is referring to are great for small tanks 2.5g and larger. I'd use one of those before I put a plastic tank on a reptile heater. A heater is also a LOT cheaper than buying a reptile mat. The smallest run around the same price as a heater and the larger ones are 2-3 x more. A thermostat will run around 25-30$.

IME and IMO

Roan

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
I've got a 2.5 gallon with amano shrimp and 2 elusive endler's, a 5.5 betta tank with 3 white clouds, a lone leftover glass catfish that freaked in the 55, and snails, and a 10G with endler's and cherry shrimp for my small tanks.

My house is cold and the walmart jr. heater did not keep my 5.5 warm enough, so it now has a 25W heater that is great. It has a whisper 10i (I think) for filtration, as does the 10G (which has a 25W heater also).

The 2.5 gallon has the walmart jr. heater which works great and the red sea nano-filter, which I can not recommend highly enough. Best money I ever spent.

The 2.5 gallon has anubias nana, dwarf hairgrass, java moss, and some vals (which will eventually outgrow the tank). The 5.5 has melon swords, java moss, and various cuttings that I let float until they develop roots.

The 10G has some glosso (not sure if it will grow at 2 WPG), microswords, anubias nana, melon swords, crypts, and of course java moss for the endler babies.

IF you use endler's be prepared for a bigger tank. I started with a trio 6 weeks ago and I have at least 15 now.

My only thought is that I should have removed the amano from the 2.5 and put them in the 10 and put the 6 cherry shrimp in the 2.5 G so I'd have a better chance of seeing them. The amano I think would be very active in the 10G. If I can ever see all the cherry shrimp I may do that, although everything is coming down in three months for a move anyway.

Jackie

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Emg thanks for posting this. I don't know what it is exactly, but there is something amazing and beautiful about tiny planted tanks that really draws me! I just bought my (spoiled) betta a 10 g and now I want a little tank again :)

Regarding Endler's Livebearers, what temp do they prefer? You mention that they don't need a heater, but I didn't know they were cold water fish. I thought they were a variation on a guppy...

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
heres my 7 gallon, is this considered small?
i plan to add cryptos soon.
fun part of keeping small tank is taht water parameter chages so quickly you cant be lazy and youre always challenge to maintain. it keeps me motivated

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store