Small tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Great Post! this is very informative and i believe deserves a look at for the article section. Most new tank owners that come here for info have relatively small tanks, this is perfect to start from.

- Jighead

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol....I'm not so sure it would ever end up in the articles section......too many folks here don't like small tanks and think it's cruel and wrong to keep them. :huh:

I wrote this up because I got pretty tired of folks "downing" small tanks and the people who keep them. Sure, some who don't know any better are probably keeping the wrong fish/stock in their small tanks...and/or.... not caring for them properly.......hence..the reason for this thread. Hopefully these people will check in here and learn something so if they want to keep their small tank, they can at least find ways to properly set it up and care for it...getting alot more enjoyment out of it as a result.

Small tanks are for people who love to keep fish.....but don't have the time or space for a larger more involved setup. Yes, more frequent maintenance is required for these little tanks, but the time involved in doing so is pretty minimal. If it's setup properly, you can get just as much enjoyment out of these smaller tanks as you do the larger ones.
;)

minnesotagal866

AC Members
May 30, 2005
At theplantedtank.net there is a forum on setting up nano planted tanks. It's a great resource and you'll find a bunch of people who set up great small planted tanks (most with fish or shrimp). Lots of diaries by people showing step by step. Worth taking a look at if you are interested in small tanks.

Jackie

Primetime

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
Speaking of small tanks, eversince AC was down, I got hooked on them!! Let me get some pics of mine (gonna edit the post after I upload).

Btw, this thread didn't survive the AC crash but I had it in my favourites and somehow its still here.

Pics:

0.25 gallon mac n cheese salad nano tank -Water's actually clear... Plastic is not :(
Inhabitants:
2 hichhiker snails
1 Ghost Shrimp

0.2L (believe it or not!! not even a litre) bowl "The Island"
Inhabitants:
4 hichhiker snails

2 Gallon

BEFORE (ugly)
Inhabitants:
3 Ghost Shrimp

AFTER: (decent)

Well what do you think? I'm most pleased by the 0.2L bowl..

Last edited:

misopeenut

AC Members
Nov 3, 2005
i finally got my cryptos and rotala that i ordered and now its all planted, well its was a while ago before this site went down and rotala sure grows fast.. so here it is

from the front. notice the little crypto wendtii under the wood.
from the side:

the shrimps is messing up my flouride... maybe theyre just trying to make it look more natural i dont know...
by the way its dimenseion is 12x12x12 about 7 Gallon
what do you think?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
misopeenut said:
i finally got my cryptos and rotala that i ordered and now its all planted, well its was a while ago before this site went down and rotala sure grows fast.. so here it is

from the front. notice the little crypto wendtii under the wood.
from the side:

the shrimps is messing up my flouride... maybe theyre just trying to make it look more natural i dont know...
by the way its dimenseion is 12x12x12 about 7 Gallon
what do you think?
Very nice, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store