small turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
no ive got lots of fish. i would enjoy frogs but i dont think i could do frogs. i want a leopard gecko but my mom wont let me. and ive tried a newt, and it didnt go well. what are other options?
You know, you have just limited your actions here. the big one was Mom.

I would just hold off on any herps until you move out. Any recommendations I can give you, sounds like you will not have the space nor real money to be able to keep.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
You tell me, what are your options? No amphibians, no lizards, no turtles.... snakes?

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i could try frogs. nothing that can climb glass tho.

Nora

AC Members
Feb 5, 2009
hmm, I can think of a few different ways to go, depends on your goals & resources.
Thoughts
a 10 gal is high maintenance just becuase of size, even things that could do in a ten, require more cleaning and care than if the same animal were housed in a 20L
first ? lifespan - do you want to (also can you) invest in and try to keep a long lived animal
feeding options, what kind of feeders will mom let you keep in the house? do you have the menas to purchase or breed live feeders? ie crickets fruit flies, roaches whatever?
How many years before you will need to move (college, family moving, etc?)
Idea, if mom let you have a newt before, why didn't it work out? If that choice is pre-mom-approved, can the set-up animal species be tweaked to make it work? Always a good idea to stay in mom's good graces. lol

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
well with the newt i wasnt able to get it too, eat and it eventually starved. it was very dificult to clean his tank. i cant really have bugs in the house. and the nearest petstore is 54 miles away which makes food dificult. im going to colledge in 2 years but i want something that will live for at least 5 years, i would prefer something that im not gonna have a hard time feeding, especially if we go on summer vacation (we ussually do, thats y my mom hates that i always want animals). i like the dart frogs but arnt they really expensive/poisonous?

natureneil

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2009
If you want something interesting for a small tank and aquatic, then I would recommend getting a pair of Freshwater Lobsters, as these are easy to keep and very interesting to watch, they will create separate territories in the tank, they will spend most of their time rearranging the substrate and don't expect any plants to survive! But I would definitely recommend them
good luck

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
hey i just saw the 3 toed turtle thread. i think my mom might let me keep turtles outside. just remember tho that i live in texas, hot in the summer, and a few really cold days in the winter. i could give them a enclosure under an oak tree. what would be a good recomendation?

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
darts arnt poisionius in captivity, but i wouldent reccomend them seeing how far you are away from a store

box turtles are easy to keep, especially if they are native to your area. not to mention thaey get pretty tame. they've been known to live 150 years so that may be a problem.

for the ten gallon tank i would stick with fish, unless fbt's are an option

how do you feel about chickens...? :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store