small turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
When I suggested a bog turtle as a pet, I was confusing common names. The turtle I'm thinking of is commonly known as the musk/stinkpot turtle. The are semi-aquatic turtles, meaning they only need a small puddle of water to soak in but not swim in. They'd need half the tank to be dry land. They do only get about 3-4 inches in size, whereas most commonly kept fully aquatic turtles typically grow closer to a 1' in size. I do believe musk turtles are capable of releasing unpleasant smells from their glands, so maybe it isn't a turtle to have as a pet. My advice is to stay away from all turtles unless you think you will have the dedication to care for one throughout the decades.

Last edited:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
When I suggested a bog turtle as a pet, I was confusing common names. The turtle I'm thinking of is commonly known as the musk/stinkpot turtle. The are semi-aquatic turtles, meaning they only need a small puddle of water to soak in but not swim in. They'd need half the tank to be dry land. They do only get about 3-4 inches in size, whereas most commonly kept fully aquatic turtles typically grow closer to a 1' in size. I do believe musk turtles are capable of releasing unpleasant smells from their glands, so maybe it isn't a turtle to have as a pet. My advice is to stay away from all turtles unless you think you will have the dedication to care for one throughout the decades.

Sorry, but ALL musk turtle species need plenty of water for swimming. And actually they rarely leave the water to bask. Captive Stinkpots rarely release musk and the same goes for the wild ones. I've caught dozens of stinkpots over the years and I've never been musked. Not to mention I own a breeding pair, see below.

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0a90RW_1mw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y0a90RW_1mw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Now Mud Turtles will sometimes use extra lands space you provide but they to are primarily aquatic turtles. I have a Red Cheek Mud Turtle that rarely ever leaves the water to bask or explore on land.

But you are correct, most species stay quite small.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I'm basing my information from how 2 musk turtles were kept at a nature preserve I worked for. I'm only familiar with one kind of musk turtle, so forgive me if I'm unaware of other similar species. I'm intrigued by these pygmy chameleons, they seem like a good little herp to keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store