Snail Damage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
Just an update on Brooklyn and his shell. For a few days I've noticed Brooklyn curled up in his shell behind the filter. I thought he was just napping since I saw occasional movement and a breathing tube every now and then, and before going into the corner he was eating just fine. I didn't think anything of it. During routine maintenance today I decided to play it safe and inspect him. It was a good thing I did because I found what looks like an old growth fracture. The fissure from the first pics in the thread healed over, then burst open again. You can see in this picture that the new growth is attempting to seal the fissure and I'm not positive but it looks like the fissure might be sealing in the old growth as well. Brooklyn was retracted as far into his shell in the tank as he is in this picture.

I've placed him in a breeder trap, lowered the temp to 72, put some calcium-enriched snail jello, and turned off the lights. He is just barely poking out of his shell now and might be nibbling at the jello, too early to tell. Is there anything more I can do besides wait and watch? The tank temp was 74-76 before I lowered it, which I thought was low enough for healthy shell growth. Was I wrong? Is this genetic or a some failing on my part? If you can't tell already, I'm very, very worried.

I've read Donya Quick's Snail Health article and an old growth fracture is one of the cases that calls for patching, but I just wanted to double check and I'm not yet sure if the fissure is sealing on its own. I would really, really, really prefer not to have to perform surgery on Brooklyn :(

DSCN2203.JPG

DSCN2206.JPG

edit: I've just checked (moving slowly and without turning on the lights) and he is nibbling at the snail jello. This gives me some hope.

DSCN2203.JPG DSCN2206.JPG

Last edited:

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
hope everything goes well!!!!! GOOOO BROOKLYN GOOOOO!!!!!!!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
thanks rocker, he is on his back, holding the cube of snail jello on his foot and sucking it down.

wendamus

Crazy Guppy Lady with serious MTS
Jul 17, 2008
Los Angeles
Aw, Pik, I'm so sorry! I am also nervous ... if you, who take such good, doting care of your snails, can't keep this from happening, what happens to the rest of us?!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
Aw, Pik, I'm so sorry! I am also nervous ... if you, who take such good, doting care of your snails, can't keep this from happening, what happens to the rest of us?!
thanks wendamus, but keep in mind I'm still an invert noob when it comes down to it!

I might have figured out why that particular hole in the old growth hasn't sealed. I took another look into the breeder trap and saw some body part sticking out from inside. It's the color of the foot and is not always extended. Good god, it isn't an internal organ, is it?? It was at a very difficult angle to photograph as far as lighting and it was behind 3 interfering surfaces (tank wall, breeder trap wall, curved feeding dish wall) so it's rather hard to see but this is the best I could do.

An antenna maybe?
DSCN2227.JPG

DSCN2227.JPG

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I had a gold snail "Andy" that suffered a pretty bad shell crack when he got stuck in an ornament. He lasted about 2 weeks and then died. I sure hope Brooklyn makes it. Good luck!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
That looks like its antennae sticking out. I think that is a good candidate for patching. I would use egg shell. You are right that Donya has a great guide, follow that and best of luck to you and Brooklyn.

On another note, I had a jade male (the one that was just attacked by the assassins) who had an open fissure, I never patched it and it closed. Since this is not over your snails heart/organs, its up to you. If you feel comfortable patching I certainly think its appropriate in this case.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
I don't think I could ever feel comfortable patching a snail. I guess I could wait but Brooklyn definitely has not been his usual self since this fissure appeared. I think I will wait and watch for a few more days since there are no exposed organs. If he keeps poking that antenna out, I'll man up and patch.

wendamus

Crazy Guppy Lady with serious MTS
Jul 17, 2008
Los Angeles
What does patching entail? Superglueing eggshell to cover the open spot so it gives them time to heal themselves? What are the risks?

Pik, I don't know anything more about it than you do, but I will come help you if you want. I've been storing eggshells for months for my daughter's school's charity spring fair (they make confetti eggs out of them) so I can even offer those.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store