Snail Damage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I would patch that since its a snail you really care about... I know it can be scary but it seems more risky to wait and his chances may not be so great if something isnt done ASAP

just my 2 cents.. and im sorry for his injury :-(

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
What does patching entail? Superglueing eggshell to cover the open spot so it gives them time to heal themselves? What are the risks?

Pik, I don't know anything more about it than you do, but I will come help you if you want. I've been storing eggshells for months for my daughter's school's charity spring fair (they make confetti eggs out of them) so I can even offer those.
Thanks for the offer wendamus but I was able to scrounge some eggshell lining from the breakfast table :)

Thanks Lupin, I think msjinkzd once linked Donya's entire article that covers snail health and the when, why, and how on patching. I DL'd the article (thought I'd need it one day). I'll see if I can dig up the thread msjinkzd linked it in.

I would patch that since its a snail you really care about... I know it can be scary but it seems more risky to wait and his chances may not be so great if something isnt done ASAP

just my 2 cents.. and im sorry for his injury :-(
I agree with you 7itanium and tonight, with support from msjinkzd (how awesome is she, huh?) I patched Brooklyn's shell. It was 80 of the most nerve-wracking minutes ever.

I used Holdfast marine epoxy putty manufactured by Marineland. Got it from a LFS and it's most commonly used for bonding live rock and corals. I sterilized the eggshell lining, cut it to fit, and molded some putty. While molding the putty I began to notice some slime oozing out from underneath the patch. I made sure to dry the fissure before patching so this slime must have come during the stress of me puttying Brooklyn's shell. I hope the patch cures properly. 80 minutes later after I gave ample time for the putty to cure I rinsed out Brooklyn with some tank water, snapped a few quick photos, and placed him back into his breeder trap with a cube of snail jello. Lights out early for the tank tonight for the recovering patient.

The patch was probably much bigger than it needed to be but I wanted to be safe.
Brooklyn - Patched 01.JPG

Might be hard to tell but this is his left side, I would have preferred to smooth it out more but this putty stuff sure is sticky and I definitely didn't want to put too much pressure on the shell.
Brooklyn - Patched 02.JPG

Under that lump is his spire, I spread the putty over it to anchor the patch as per the directions in Donya's article.
Brooklyn - Patched 03.JPG

Here you can see the fissure that almost reaches the leading edge.
Brooklyn - Patched 04.JPG

There isn't much left visible of his shell.
Brooklyn - Patched 05.JPG

My fingers still covered in putty
Brooklyn - Patched 06.JPG

I made a little mistake here and almost put the putty over the leading edge. I hope this will be okay.
Brooklyn - Patched 07.JPG

If he survives this ordeal, I am renaming him Adams (for Patch Adams). Since I put him into his breeder trap he hasn't moved. My fingers and toes are crossed and I want to thank everyone for their support, especially that jinkzy lady!

Brooklyn - Patched 01.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 02.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 03.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 04.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 05.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 06.JPG Brooklyn - Patched 07.JPG

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What a lucky snail to have you! I think once the putty is cured (as it is now) that spot by the leading edge will be fine. Hopefully its bonded on their nicely and nothing pops off! Fingers crossed for Brooklyn <Patch> and keep us posted!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
Well it looks like he's comfy enough. I just peeked into the tank and saw him on his back holding up the cube of jello with his foot and munching away. If I didn't know any better I'd say he was living the good life. :D

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
What wonderful news!! Yay to you for a job well done! He had not been eating previously right? Seems like he is feeling like a new snail. You could always adorn his patch with different colors of nailpolish if you liked to match the seasons, lol!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
It's been 2 days since the patch and this is the most positive sign of recovery I've seen. Out in broad daylight, Brooklyn's hamming it up :) I think I did overdo the patch a little, it seems he is still getting used to the extra weight. (Sorry, big guy!) I thought to help his rehab by placing the jello a small distance away (a few inches) to get him to scoot around a little but after just a few minutes I couldn't stand to see him struggle any longer and I pushed the jello right up next to him. I know, I have no willpower lol.

Post-Patch Recovery - Day 02
Brooklyn - Post-Patch Recovery Day 02.JPG

Brooklyn - Post-Patch Recovery Day 02.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store