so, who fishes?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I really want a sheepsheads tank
:rofl:hahahaha, sheepshead. My brother caught some of those to take home and eat, my family had no clue what type of fish they were so we just called them 'dorkfish'. We were kind of scared to eat them because they almost looked human in the face... creepy teeth and all that. :crazy:

And yes, I really like to fish. Ive been meaning to do it for a while now, but I havent had that much time. Mostly catch stupid eels from the docks, sometimes baby sharks, flounder, more eel, little baitfish, MORE EEL. Around my pond all I get is sunfish and bluegill.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
I grew up and still live in south Florida . When I was younger that was all I did in my spare time , Now I don't get to do it at all . Although I did go out and catch some Mayan Cichlids, couple tilapias and bluegill a while back. I really miss going out on our old 26 footer on the Ocean every weekend .

IMG_0009.JPG

pharasalia

Minion of Aquarius
Feb 9, 2007
Fort Myers, FL
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Melisa
Heh, guess I'm one of the rare few on this forum. NOPE - DON'T FISH. Can't fish, actually. Oh, I'll eat some fried catfish at a restaurant or eat tuna.. but I just can't participate in the actual death of the fish. But we're talking about someone who goes out of their way not to kill even ants and rescues everything in sight thats in danger. I have nothing against eating fish - I guess I'd just rather eat the fish bred for the purpose of being food than take something out of wild populations... fish I don't have to kill myself. We're just not in a place anymore where we have to fish to catch our food. I'm not judging anyone who does, I just don't have it in me.

I fished when I was a kid. We caught bluegills and catfish mostly. I remember it being fun and enjoying it, but that was before I realized what the fish experienced and I just couldn't stomach it anymore. My stepdad was big on hunting and fishing - he was also a cruel a$$hat and part of the reason I have such distaste for killing. But beyond that, is just the toll all the fishing takes on the ecology. Catch and release is all well and good, but I've read numerous times that a very large percentage of those fish that are caught and released die very shortly afterward due to injuries/stress.

Each to his own. We're all here cause we enjoy fish!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I love fishing, always have since I was little. All kinds - spin fishing, bait fishing, fly fishing, fw or sw. I do mostly catch and release but have kept and eaten what I've caught a few times.

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
I have so many memories of when I was a little girl and I pole fished at one of our ponds, It was fun. Really all I do now is trot line with my father and husband, it is fun to until dad starts driving, LOL. He likes to see who is holding on. I have removed a baby sturgeon from one of our trot lines. It was great, I had never seen one before, Something inside of me said take it home and then something else told me "dummy it is going to get big just look at it". Sure enough when research was done I thought boy I am glad that I released it. Also found out that they are endangered in our river. Made me feel good that I found a baby, so that means somebody is trying to save the specie. LOL. I guess I am stuck to the survival of the fittest motto, so fishing don't really bother me, and then I come home and look at my tanks. Hahaha.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
My biggest catch was a 12 foot hammerhead, it was released of course :) :wall: man I miss those days. Not to mention my smallest catch , a guppy :grinyes:

almo75

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
Corn fields south of Chicago
Real Name
Al
I probably could not catch a fish if I were starving to death! We have a pond where I live, everyone catches a ton in seconds. I catch nothing. Suits me just fine as I am really just doing it to hang out. I usually manage to catch a buzz though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store