Some where over the Rainbows

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

STraBO

An Image of Ron Livingston
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Visit site
I have an empty 10 gallon that I want to place 2-3 Bosemani Rainbows in with a black/dark sand subsrate. I am pretty set on these particular rainbows, but I am still open to recommendations of other rainbows. Any suggestions?

Any particular bottomfeeder?
I want to so with a strict bioshpere environment. Indigenous plants and inhabitants. I belive the Boseman Rainbows hail from Java.

What qualities or signs of good health should I look for in purchasing them? How does one sex them?

I am looking for any help or advice in setting up a rainbow tank.

Thank You,
STraBO

jderuiter

AC Members
Nov 21, 2001
Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
A 10 is far too small for Bosemani's. They can get up to 5" when mature. I'm in the process of setting up a 46 bowfront for rainbows and it will have Bosemani's in it. I have a planted 25 with Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbows and it's just the right size for them.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
yeah, I won't even let my wife have any for her 29 gallon. Dwarf neon's, celebese or threadfins would be able to live in a 10 gallon but not too many. Kyle

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I dont even think those would work! Celebes are as crazy about their swimming space as danios! My 7 nearly over take the entire 55 gallons! The boesmanis are definitely too big. I also think dwarf neons are too big. Plus, rainbowfish are schooling fish and do best in groups.

Even threadfins (though smaller) are big on swimming space and probably shouldn't be kept in a 10g.

Rainbows are really more geared towards larger tanks...

Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What about the dwarf preacox? Very different color, but atractive fish, and I think they max out around 2 inches. A small group might work--but you'd be very limited on adding any other fish.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Yah, i was referring to praecox when i said dwarf neons. I still think those are way too big. Its not just size, but the fish's personality and activity level that needs to be taken into acount. They are way too much in love with swimming IMO - plus, as I said, they're schooling fish. You'd need at least 5-6 in a 10g and that seems cramped to me.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Interesting that they are active swimmers. I've only had turquiose, but they spent most of their time in one of two little openings in the plants. They were in a 40, and had lots of room to swim (not many other top swimmers in with them).

If they are active swimmers, I'd probably skip them in a 10. Medium sizzed fish that swim a lot tend to have problems in 10's, and end up banging themselves up.

tpl*co

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
I agree, the bosemani are too big for a 10

I've been trying to keep rainbows in with my comunity fish and find they love to romp and swim and carry on too much (have large tetras). Well, I've switched from a 29 to a 46 bowfront and just got 2 red rainbows and my fingers crossed that they don't get too boisterous with my other fish. I love the reds since their tomato red color can be seen from across the room! If you like bosemani's couldn't you get a bigger tank? These guys need plenty of room to court, swim and show off. Also, don't just have males in the tank, they will lose color, they enjoy showing off to the ladies :)

tpl*co

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
Oh, forgot to add...

Before I got more yellow tail congo tetras, my male yellowtail would try and school with turquoise rainbows. Definite identity crisis. Now I have a school of yellow tail congo tetras and elrey tetras and I'm hoping the red rainbow will get along.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I will not put even dwarf neons in a tank less than 4'. When I first kept them I used a 29, decided it was too small, so moved them to a 30-long, still cramped, so up to 40-long - much better.

They need swimming room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store