Something is wiping my tank! :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rome

Registered Member
Sep 2, 2012
If by many members you actually mean the minority, then maybe.

50% weekly water changes, especially on a 50g tank (unless it's SEVERELY overstocked), is a huge waste of water and is not recommended by practically anyone.

In fact, the veterans typically tell people that doing that much of a water change can be detrimental to the fish by disturbing/removing too much of the beneficial bacteria in the water.

Even 25% a week on 50g is a bit overkill with the stock the OP has. 15% a week or 25% every two weeks would be more reasonable.
This is just plain false. All of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
I wouldn't say 50% is necessary...there's definitely some leeway.

But suggesting that water changes can prevent a cycle is pure nonsense.
I agree with this and say 25% weekly is good, I would not do 50% with this currently stock though. 30% maybe at the most.
As long as the water is clean the fish will be fine. If your stock increases or there are water quality concerns/disease I do agree to 50% changes.

I had a customer once who was trying to fight their cycle and doing massive daily water changes it delayed the cycle from completing since the levels of ammonia continued to build on a daily basis. This isn't the case here. From reading over this it sounds like this is mostly due to the stock either coming in poor or already sick before you bought them, nothing on you.

This is the game that we all play to keep our fish alive and well. All of us have our different tricks and tips that work for us. I hope that the tips that others have posted here will help with the issue at hand and that you will enjoy the hobby as all of us do.

dtn23

AC Members
Aug 1, 2012
I definitely appreciate everyone's input. I tried to be as cautious as possible with the cycle given some of the circumstances I was forced to deal with. I understand it wasn't ideal and that it may have contributed to this issue. I have read a lot and learned even more through this site and asking questions since that initial start-up.

So far there have been no more issues with the tank. All fish remain healthy and the water is still testing the same. I'm actually glad to hear it was probably bad stock because that takes some of the grief off of me. It still sucks to lose fish but I'd rather blame the store than my own negligence. I'm doing my best to make sure everything stays in good shape and thank you again to everyone who is responding!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
I definitely appreciate everyone's input. I tried to be as cautious as possible with the cycle given some of the circumstances I was forced to deal with. I understand it wasn't ideal and that it may have contributed to this issue. I have read a lot and learned even more through this site and asking questions since that initial start-up.

So far there have been no more issues with the tank. All fish remain healthy and the water is still testing the same. I'm actually glad to hear it was probably bad stock because that takes some of the grief off of me. It still sucks to lose fish but I'd rather blame the store than my own negligence. I'm doing my best to make sure everything stays in good shape and thank you again to everyone who is responding!
This is so true that if the fish die very quickly that it is bad stock.

Glad you are enjoying and learning more at the same time :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store